newbie help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spongebobby

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, I 've got my tank set-up since last Fri (12-17-04). My set-up:

55 gal glass
Coralife Lunar 260W
Bak-Pak 2 w/ biobale
1/2 deep LS
Penguin 1140 PH (water movement)
Thermo-wave 200W heater

My questions:

I have a white haze on top of the water that i can't get rid of. Looks like clumps of cotton about the size of a pen tip. The PH is on back right corner of the tank and blows to the center front glass.The haze is all at the left end of the tank. How can i get rid of it? Canister filter?

My bak-pak 2 is blowing small bubbles in to the tank. They are sticking to the PH and the heater. Does anyone know how to get them to stop?

My LFS made my water for me and the salinty was fine Sun. but today it has dropped to 1.018 from 1.023. The water has evaporated about 1/2 inch since Fri. Why has the salinty dropped and not raised?

Does anyone have any suggestions or help?

That scum on the water could be foam from the new sand. I've never used a bak pak but most skimmers are able to be adjusted. As far as your salinity what are you using for measurement? If it is a hydrometer make sure there are NO air bubbles in it or you will get a false reading.HTH

I agree, the surface scum is most likely coming from your new sand. Get a fish net with brine shrimp cloth on it and do your own skimming toget rid of the big foam clumps. This will take some of the initial load off your skimmer. Also, get another powerhead and possition it so it ripples the surface of the water. This will help break up the surface scum a bit.

Back
Top Bottom