Newbie ? I am clearly missing something

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carinea

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have ordered a 60g reef ready from TruVu (they have been wonderful so far), w/internal overflow box with hole drilled in back and I got the integrated return system they offered(dual) and I asked them to drill the holes into the back of the aquarium for the returns, as it comes standard with the lines over the top of overflow box and for aesthetic reasons I didn't want anything coming up over the top at all. In doing some research (googling) for ideas on where to have return line holes drilled I read some vague post about hiding the returns with the overflow box, which brings me to my question. If the return holes are in the overflow box then wouldn't the same water in the overflow box just keep cycling over and over? How would the water that has just cycled through the sump get to the tank if its being pumped (returned) to overflow box only to be cycled back down the intake?
I ask because the holes that I asked to be drilled for the returns may be drilled into the back of the overflow.

Any help clearing this up for me will be greatly appreciated

I like to have over flow on one side return on oposite ...I have a 75 were the returns come out the overflow so I think it would not matter

Thanks for replying
Having the returns drilled into both sides of the back is what I thought would be best as well. Someone sent a picture of a tank with the returns and overflow that I was talking about, I thought the water exited the returns into the overflow box in that set-up-however the loc-line carries the water out to the tank(what I was missing)

Back
Top Bottom