Newbie lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ebius

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all. I have been looking around for quite some time and have found the answers to most of my questions. Just a quick thanks to everyone for the great advice you have!! I have done several searches and cannot find what i now need to know.

I am new to saltwater and am going tostart a reef. I have had a rather large tank fall into my lap(119 Gal, 48x18x31) This tank looks a little deep tho at 31". Will i have to push much more light to get to the bottom? I am looking at MH. Also, when i am looking at lighting it doesn't seem like i can get 7 wpg in a 110 Gal that is only 48" wide. Do you take the total watts or the lighting fixture, or just the MH lights in it? Most of the 48" hoods i have found only have 2x150 MH lights but also have 2x150ish Dual Actinic. Would this be a 300 watt hood, or 600? Also, can I just replace the 150 watt MH bulbs with like 2 250 bulbs?

I know lighting can be a real brain teaser, but I am really trying to figure all this out before i get the tank up and going. Idealy I would have enough light to keep anything I find that I like. TIA for any advice you guys have.

The ballast wattage has to match the bulb wattage, but total wattage is all lights combined blue and regular. You could get a hood with 2 400 watt bulbs or you could go with 2 250w plus some pc lighting in the blues to bring up your wattage.

Thanks for the info. I guess one thing that im still a little worried about is getting light to the bottom of the tank. Is there a rule of thumb when thinking about this? Will a 150 watt MH reach the bottom of a 31" tank? I only plan on buying one hood, so I want to make sure that I get the right one. The biggest problem that I have is the only lights i see that are bigger than 150-175 are retro fit. I would really like to have one hood that sits on legs. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them, and a link would be even better! :lol: Thanks again.

I don't know the rule of thumb(if any)for depth lighting. I'm sure one of the advisors will though.

At 31" deep, I would be inclined to go for 2 400W MH. You have to figure in the distance from the canopy to the water if it is tall, in which mine is about 12" off the water. I would use retro lighting if you can't find a kit all inclusive with 400w.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom