newbie needs advice :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ahollland92690

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey guys,

I currently have a 26-gallon bow front aquarium that is freshwater...I would really like to change it to a salt water aquarium. I have never had a saltwater aquarium and would really love any starting up advice anyone can give me!

I understand this is a very expensive hobby :D so if anyone knows where I can get good equipment at good prices I would greatly appreciate that.

thanks so much!

The best advice I can give is to read, read, read. It's not complicated, it's just different.

Check out www.atlantareefclub.org. There are always members selling equipment and livestock at good prices.

I recommend finding a few books and googling like mad. :) There are a lot of opinions out there, best to find out as many as you can.

Well i definitely understand researching it and that is what i am doing...but are there any mistakes that any one has made during the start up process that i should know about and not repeat that mistake?

There are as many mistakes as there are different tanks, no setup is the same.
1) be sure to cycle your tank.
2) before adding any fish or cleanup crew do a 50% PWC (partial water change), this will be the only time you can do this without worrying about your animals.
3) add life to your tank slowly to let your bacteria catch up to the new bio-load.
4) Be sure to buy a liquid test kit and a refractometer to test your water parameters.
5) research your tank inhabitants before buying them.
6) Remember this: the only thing that happens fast in a saltwater tank are "MISTAKES"
7) read, read and read some more.

ok so how much do you guys think a 26 gallon salt water tank would cost me...a nice range of prices would be nice. :)

Back
Top Bottom