Newbie Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jasnhrpr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am a newbie to saltwater aquariums. I have been studying everything I can get hold of for the last few weeks. I think I have decided on getting the JBJ 12 gallon Nano Cube. To begin, I just want to go with live rock, live sand, 2 false percs, and a cleanup crew. Am I correct in stating that the JBJ comes with all equipment necessary with the exception of a heater?

A few basic questions that I have:
Is 12 pounds of live rock enough?
How much live sand do I need?
When I first get the Cube what should I put in for the cycle?
My local fish store has fully cured rock for $6.95. Is this a good price?

It will probably be a month or two before I purchase anything so any advice that you can give me will be much appreciated.

Jason

12 lbs should be enough, but more is always better in my opinion!

there is a calculator on this site in the calculator section that will tell you how much you need.... I'd aim for at least a 3" deep bed.

when you first get it... pour in the sand.... then put a large bowl in it and pour in the water so that it doesnt disturb the sand... and then throw a raw piece of shrimp in for a few days to start the cycle.

6.95 is 4 cents cheaper than at my LFS!!!!

My advice would be to get a larger tank if you can because they are much more stable. Other than that just read as much as you can. I'd go and buy the conscientous (sp?) marine aquarist. Great book to start with!

welcome to the site and good luck!!!!!

I will second the book, and also the size comment. Start with a larger tank if you can. 12 gallons can be hard to keep stable for a newbie and is not much room for 2 false percs. Plus you will want more fish etc...etc. IMO a good starting size is a 20 gallon long tank but for some this just doesn't fit the bill.

In my opinion (and everyone has one in this hobby) If you got room I would go with AT LEAST a 30 gallon. Look for a good used setup. This will be hard enough to keep up with just starting out. Less water volume=HUGE water swings if something goes wrong. BASIC rule of thumb is 1.5 lbs of LR per gallon. Look for USED stuff. That is a good price at a LFS BUT you can find good "used" LR for about $2 a lb. I personally wouldnt go less than a 55 for my first tank. You really need a protein skimmer as well and hard to find for a 12 gallon.
I would be willing to bet you could almost find a stocked 30 gallon for the same $$ your going to put in the 12 if your buying it new

Back
Top Bottom