Newbie question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

montero

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Do I need a lot of live rock if I have an Emperor 400 in a 55 gallon tank?
Should I just get a few pounds and then use base rock for the rest?

Thanks for the help.

You can definately use base rock for a majority of your need. The filtration benefits of the rock are not determined by the life it comes with. If you only use 15-20% LR for the remainder, the fauna and coralline (light depending) will multiply in time.

With just a HOB filter I would suggest close to 75 lbs total for the tank. 50ish lbs would be the minimum. I would also suggest at least one more PH to help with the water flow. A maxi jet 1200 placed at the other end of the tank from the HOB will improve things a great deal. If you are intending a reef tank, I would actually suggest two.

Cheers
Steve

Another question.
Where should I place my heater. Next to the Emperor or next to the Maxi-Jet 1200?
I'm thinking by the power head. That way the power head pushes the warm water across the tank.
??

It does not really matter where it's placed as long as you have adequate water flow in the tank. Placing it too near a powerhead could cause a misreading from the thermostat as the powerhead gives off a certain amount of heat itself. Best placed somewhere in the middle preferabley horizontal and not touching anything.

Cheers
Steve

I have a 55 with a Emperor HOB and took off the bio wheels and the "floss" filters and just filled the baskets with carbon... 60 pounds of live rock and 30 pounds of base. and 55 lbs of live sand arriving tomorrow. I plan to add a skimmer and MAYBE a UV filter later down the road. The skimmer b 4 the UVkiller !

Back
Top Bottom