newbie question - what filters should i use for nano 28g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Make her read this thread. That might convince her.

Make her read my long thread floating around here at the top. I bought a 10g nano from LFS that was fully stocked with 8 fish. You can read through the whole process there. 2 weeks later, Im down to 3 fish from everything dieing off. :(

...I mean.. putting a tang in a 28G tank is like shoving a 4ft child in a 2x2 wooden box. Pretty sad. ...

That's the analogy I use too. I mean... you can definitely keep a child alive in a closet for its entire life. Give it air, food from time to time, and water. It won't lead a normal life, or probably long one compared to other kids, but it will stay alive. And if that's the only thing you're after - to keep something alive - then you've succeeded!

Mike2016 - if you have kids, maybe that argument will bring things in to focus for your wife.

yea i have been following Bonnie's thread, it's what caught me to sign up on this forum to post... the wife seems to start to understand now, after i told her how people are saying on the forums and the owner at the LFS are saying the same thing.

and Kurt, we don't have kids which is why we have time for this hobby...lol i guess it's time to consider so she can focus on something else.

If she really likes the tangs, can ya'll get a bigger tank? That's pretty much what Im doing now. Trying to save the tank I have while researching to get what I reall want. :)

yea i'm looking for a larger tank 120-150g to put it in my office, a 28g nano is as big as i can fit in our living room.... :)

A 120-150 would definitely be a great tank size for a tang or two. Just know one thing, expect to be paying twice as much for everything related to a tank of that size, maybe more depending on what you've already spent on this 28G. Large tanks need lots of maintenance, and they need larger equipment, larger amounts of water.. basically everything you need for the 28G tank.. but in a largely increased amount.

What kind of nano is it? i also have a 28 gallon nano cube which has the build in lights and back part with two pumps. It came with a little bubble skimmer which was not that great. I got a black hang on the back skimmer to replace it. To get it to fit i took out one of the pumps (this may or may not have been necessary, im sure i could have fit the skimmer in if i tried rearranging some things)

I also have the sponge, carbon and ceramic rings which came with the tank

It should be the jbj nano 28g, it also has 2 pumps and a small skimmer, it's also the bubbling type. what kind did you replace it with? i think it'll work ok if the air pump was stronger.

first thing i worry about is the stock media basket, alot of water gets flown over the basket. then I found this great custom media basket for the nano cube, made by a forum member 12g and 28g Nano-Cube – Upgraded Media Basket - Nano-Reef.com Forums

it seems to be much better, i already ordered one from this guy for $30. hoping to get it this weekend.

i replaced it with an AquaC Remora. I like it better, it was a bit louder but my friend at the LFS showed me where to put a piece of paper towel that made it much quieter. The main reason i got it was for when i got seahorses in the tank though, and then i ended up just getting fish and setting up a separate tank for the seahorses anyways :p

Back
Top Bottom