Newbie Questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jack22

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just added a new protein skimmer to my 55 gal tank and its producing a lot of micro bubbles. Are the micro bubbles harmful to fish or other livestock or are they just ugly? It's my understanding that it will take a few weeks for the skimmer to break in and them the bubbles should go away. Also I have heard that some additives can react with the skimmer to cause micro bubbles, does anyone know if Prime water conditioner is one of these? I realize that these are probably dumb questions, I really appreciate any help. Thanks.

Jack22 said:
I just added a new protein skimmer to my 55 gal tank and its producing a lot of micro bubbles. Are the micro bubbles harmful to fish or other livestock or are they just ugly? It's my understanding that it will take a few weeks for the skimmer to break in and them the bubbles should go away. Also I have heard that some additives can react with the skimmer to cause micro bubbles, does anyone know if Prime water conditioner is one of these? I realize that these are probably dumb questions, I really appreciate any help. Thanks.

No question is a dumb question. The micro bubbles are not harmful, just ugly and make you angry :/ they'll be gone in a few day to a few weeks. It helps to rinse them through with hot water. I do not know about the prime water conditioner reacting with the skimmer so hopefully someone else will chime in.

Thanks for the help. I also had a question about food. I have heard that feeding a varied diet is important. Currently I'm just feeding a marine flake food. Can anyone suggest a quality food or combination of foods to feed? How often should I feed? Here's my list of livestock:

2 oscellaris clowns
1 Coral beauty angel
2 yellow tail damsels
1 green chromis
1 royal gramma
6 snails (mixed)
10 hermit crabs (mixed)
1 peppermint shrimp
1 emerald crab

I know I and alot of other people here, buy frozen food and or fresh seafood and make our own concoctions to feed fish.

Just feed so everyone gets some. The shrimp and other inverts will getthe leftovers that fall to the ground.

I recommend mysis and cyclopeeze as a couple frozen foods.

Frozen mysid shrimp is my favorite store bought frozen marine food. New Life Spectrum makes great small pellets for the fish you have. I'd ditch the flakes. They break up into dust and can give you algae issues over time. If you decide to make your own food get some vitamins like VitaChem to add to the mix. It's great stuff.

Back
Top Bottom