newbie questions...little advice here please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quil

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,
I'm new to the saltwater aquarium but have been keeping fish for about 12 years. I've got both a 40 gallon and a 60, both of which were freshwater. I kept discus successfully in the 60 gallon, and the 40 had German Blue Rams. I recently moved, and now I'm converting the 60 to a saltwater, and have a few questions about filtration and setup.

I guess my biggest concern is filtration. I'm planning on keeping a fish only tank, with a small amount of live rock, say 30-40 pounds. I've always used undergravel filters in conjunction with a powerhead, but I've read quite a bit about how UGFs are a thing of the past. What are your opinions on them? I was considering also buying a Fluval 304 or 404, and possibly a skimmer. A LFS rep recommended a "Skilter" which is kind of a HOB/Skimmer in one. Anyone have any experience with those? Does this setup sound about right for my plans? I have no intentions of going to a reef tank, and hadn't really planned on inverts, unless it's something compatible with the fish I'm considering.

My plans for the tank are to keep a Dwarf Lionfish, possible a moray, and something else. I really don't know a lot about the recommended fish to keep with a Lion, but I'm pretty deadset on the Lion, so I'm tailoring the tank to him. Any recommendations? How many other fish should I plan to keep with him?

Thanks a lot in advance. Sorry for the long post, but I've been treading through mindless amounts of books/websites, and decided to try some real live human interaction. Thanks again.

The UGF is a definite no in SW. I would recommend more LR instead of purchasing the Fluval filter. A skimmer is a must buy. Not familiar with that brand but hopefully someone else will help you out with that. Also be aware that a lion fish generates a heavy bio load so you will also be limited in the amount of fish you can keep as well as what you can keep.

Actually, the more I think about what I want to keep, the more I think I might go with something besides the Lion. I don't know, I change my mind about every 5 minutes.

OK, so maybe go with more LR, the Fluval, and a protein skimmer? Thanks again, any suggestions or comments are welcome.

OK, how much more? And would I be good with two powerheads (one in each corner of the backside of the tank), or do I need more than that?

Back
Top Bottom