Newbie questions (nano tank)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tnunderwater

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello there! I'm in the process of getting a 29g FW tank up and running. Once it's fully cycled, I'll be moving my five neon tetras that I took in into that tank, leaving me with an empty 5g bowfront acrylic tank. I was thinking of maybe taking my first venture into SW and making a nano tank..

Could someone give me the low-down on the costs associated with this? I don't want anything fancy.. just a beginner SW. What equipment will I need?

My first advice is to go bigger. A 5g is a really under taking
even for an advance saltwater person. The problem is that the water in a 5g can change so fast. that most people can't handle the change in water parameters. It is alot easier to start off with a 40g and learn the ropes of keeping the water parameter and temp as well as SG in check in a larger tank. I am not saying that it can't be done but it takes allot more attention and is so easy to go south.

I would also go bigger as thincat said. The nice thing is that even if you went just a little bigger like another 29g or around that size the expense of setting it up will be about the same. Most of the equipment for saltwater is either not tank size dependent or sized with the minimum around 20-30 gallons. Most of the filters and lights will be approximately the same for a 5 as they would be for a 29. Not always exactly but close.

Thanks for the prompt replies :)

I'm currently living at home, and so I have no room for an additional tank unfortunately. 29g is the biggest I could fit in my room and I went FW because I'm already experienced with FW. I guess I'm just going to put the 5g under the 29g and have it running out of site and use it as a QT. :)

Back
Top Bottom