Newbie Restarting Old Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jape

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys,

Firstly I would just like to say thanks for having me! I've read the forums on here in the past a few times a guest; but now I have my own question to ask, I've decided to sign up.

Basically, I have a 130 litre all in one saltwater aquarium (FOWLR) I think it's classed as?

However, I had to go overseas with work very suddenly; and entrusted my tank to my neighbour to look after for me, which sadly proved to be as bad of an idea as I had suspected only 1 month into my 6 month absence. My poor lionfish sadly made its way to fishy heaven; and my neighbour unplugged the all in one unit from the wall.

I've now been back home for a month, and my tank is now in my crosshairs for starting up again.

I have filled the tank with warm water and have started up the heaters, the pumps and the skimmer to chug away to clear themselves of any salt which may have settled inside.

My question is (and sorry for it being a big one!): what will I need to do to get this tank and my live rock (which I'm presuming is now dead) up and running again?

Timing is not an issue, I'm more than happy for this procedure to take a while if needs be; as fish and coral health is my top priority!

My tank is a Red Sea max 130D, still full with water which has at some point had a dead lionfish in it - which I'm presuming will need a full water change!

Thanks in advance

Jape/Josh

Well I would take this opportunity to

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oops ! Continuing on!
To clean the sand bed as it is surely full of unwanted decaying material! Aside from that you will have to cycle the tank again, and in 4-8 weeks your good to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Easily done, and thanks for the response!

8 weeks sounds fine to me; appreciate it! Will that mean my live rock will still be alive; or will that need curing etc?

I would say it would need curing again as it's been a while let us know how you get on!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I think you need a bigger tank for lionfish....dwarf or not. I'd remove the dead fish and cycle the tank. It's probably got all the ammonia it needs from the rotting fish, but I would check just to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom