Newbie start up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is this?

Attachments

• image-2203575834.jpg
    image-2203575834.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 75
  • image-468518482.jpg
    image-468518482.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 75
  • image-330806729.jpg
    image-330806729.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 72
I don't plan on doing a reef but I'll research it. I have noticed that it retracts onto the rock at night and comes back out when the lights are turned back on. The black thing with spikes relocated itself over night so I too think its a sea urchin. How do you kill it of that's what I want to do?

I would imagine if you want to kill a sea urchin take it out of the water but you may be able to get a credit at your lfs. Not sure about the other.

I don't want to kill the sea urchin, lol, I want to keep it. It's cool. It's the other stuff I'm talking about. Now I have some other critter crawling around the aquarium. Can you identify it? My son said it looks like a centipede almost.

I don't want to kill the sea urchin, lol, I want to keep it. It's cool. It's the other stuff I'm talking about. Now I have some other critter crawling around the aquarium. Can you identify it? My son said it looks like a centipede almost.

Prolly not, but I at least need a pic, so I can try.... :lol: Nevermind I see the pic.

What is this?

Not too sure. Sort of looks like a bumble bee shrimp. But don't take my word. Urchins move all the time, like snails.
To kill the aptasia you need a syringe. I got mine at Walgreens for 25cents. Inject the thing with boiling lemon juice. Turn off your power heads while you do it. Wait 15 minutes to turn back on. It is kinda fun to do.

Take the rock out of the water to do the injecting or so it in the water? There are about 5-6 of baring size if that's what it is. I may go back to my lfs and ask them what it is. I'm sure they have plenty more on rock there.

Newest picture with some added dry rock. Still not happy with the design yet. Haven't seen the mantis shrimp anymore. Need to remove it from the tank before I get fish?

Attachments

• image-461092915.jpg
    image-461092915.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 77
That shrimp is a mantis and if you plan on fish,especially small ones..he will DEFINATELY eat them..and any bottom dwelling crabs,shrimps,and snails..my bro actually has one in a tank by itself..he likes them..lol ..trust me that shrimp is hiding very well...:(

Yes he is and I want him out. I haven't seen him myself yet but my son and husband has. We just haven't been able to catch yet. They think they know which rock he's hiding in. If they are sure I'm going to pull it out and flush it out with club soda.

Yeah, they are awesome. I would set up a tank for it or trade it in. They are $50 on live aquaria. I think my LFS has one for $60-$80.

Yeah, they are awesome. I would set up a tank for it or trade it in. They are $50 on live aquaria. I think my LFS has one for $60-$80.

I don't want to kill him. Just get him flushed out and moved. Any suggestions on how to coax him out and catch him? I wanted to take him back to the lfs for trade.

I haven't had to catch anything but I have read that if you put some food at the bottom of a glass angled in your sand bed they go in to eat it and can't get out. It's worth a shot I guess.

Remove the rock that he's in to a bucket of tank water. He should come out eventually to eat. You could put some pieces of raw shrimp or fish on bottom of bucket to lure him out. Then grab him with a net and put in a container of tank water. LFS might give you some store credit for him. Be careful not to get hurt- they are either smashers or spearers!!!! Keep hands away!
Lots of people love those guys- I think they're kinda cool myself. :)
Good luck and be careful!!!

One indication theyre really upset..they curl up like a armadillo does with their "weapons" ready to strike...they also have mantis shrimp traps but i dont know how well they work....

Well guys. I caught him, now I don't know what to so with him. My lfs will take him back but doesn't want to give me anything in exchange for him. I really don't have anywhere to put him so I don't know what I'm going to do with him.

Well guys. I caught him, now I don't know what to so with him. My lfs will take him back but doesn't want to give me anything in exchange for him. I really don't have anywhere to put him so I don't know what I'm going to do with him.

If they'll take him, then give him to the LFS. It of course would be ideal if they gave you some store credit for him, but it's better IMO just to be rid of him and he ends up in a home where someone wants him than to kill him just because the LFS won't give you any credit for him. He will kill anything that is put in a tank with him.

I second this..u paid for the rock not him..deport him..cant keep anything with him in tank,he'll kill'em..:)

Back
Top Bottom