Newbie start up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hart62

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just to clarify the above, we are not completely new to tanks, just salt water. Having said that we are looking for advice on new set up. We have a new 45 gallon tank that I want to make into a sw maybe swfowlr. I am looking for suggestions on the best setup. I don't have any filtration yet but we have two hob emperor (one single and one double) on our 55 Cichlid tank and would like to use the same type on this tank for ease of filtration changes and cartridge purchases on both tanks. I haven't purchased anything other than the tank at this point but i know I need a heater, and protein skimmer. The tank came with a standard fluorescent light so I may need a different bulb, would love to use led lights at some point. I'm leaning on live sand and live rock with some base rock as well. I'm just not sure on the amount of sand and live rock versus base rock. Also would not be opposed to having some good hitchhikers in the tank. Any and all suggestions would be welcomed.

Just to clarify the above, we are not completely new to tanks, just salt water. Having said that we are looking for advice on new set up. We have a new 45 gallon tank that I want to make into a sw maybe swfowlr. I am looking for suggestions on the best setup. I don't have any filtration yet but we have two hob emperor (one single and one double) on our 55 Cichlid tank and would like to use the same type on this tank for ease of filtration changes and cartridge purchases on both tanks. I haven't purchased anything other than the tank at this point but i know I need a heater, and protein skimmer. The tank came with a standard fluorescent light so I may need a different bulb, would love to use led lights at some point. I'm leaning on live sand and live rock with some base rock as well. I'm just not sure on the amount of sand and live rock versus base rock. Also would not be opposed to having some good hitchhikers in the tank. Any and all suggestions would be welcomed.

I'm only about a week ahead of you. I've been studying and learning as quick as I can. From what I've gathered 1.5 to 2 lbs of live rock will be your filter. The HOB's are actually for moving the water around and you'll want to consider doing some reading about how to setup your HOB's. I've got the phosphate reducing pads and the black mesh that came with my filter. I tossed the carbon pads in the extra's drawer. As for the heater I'm using a Fluval E-Series. On a tank the size you're talking about maybe a 100 or 150. The E Series is nice because it has a built in digital read out and comes preset from the factory. It reads out in Celsius or Farenheit just read the directions for how to change. I've got two in two different tanks and both work and hold the temp great. I've just ordered a TaoTronics Dimmable Led but cannot comment as to how it works, but I've read some good things and two of the more experienced members around here thought it would work well for me. LR and Live Sand are the way to go for starting your tank, and many will tell you to kick off the Nitrogen cycle with a shrimp in a stocking. I seeded both my tanks and that really through me off cause I don't know if I've mini cycled or skipped it all together. I can't comment about the hitchhikers however I've got 5 Hermits for my CUC and a coupe Damsels in my FOWLR. My tank will eventually be a reef when it grows up, but until April 1st its going to be as is. Hope this helps, stick with it and good luck!

Hi and welcome!

I've only been at saltwater about 8 months, have a 60 gallon tank, but will help out with what I can.

In terms of filtration, if you're not doing a sump, I'd just go with a skimmer and not even worry about a HOB filter. I don't have any experience with sump as I don't have one. They are a nice addition though not necessary, at least not on a tank of that size.

In terms of HOB skimmers I really like my Reef Octopus.

That lighting would be fine for fish. What lighting you upgrade to, if you decided to, will depend on whether or not you want to keep corals. If you don't know yet or plan to wait a while then you can always upgrade lighting later on. The fish won't care about the lighting. :) In terms of lighting I'm in the process of switching from T5HOs to LED, waiting to get what I need to hang my lights, but so far I'm already preferring the LEDs just from what I've seen.

You'll need powerheads (circulation pumps) for water movement in the tank. They provide current needed to keep uneaten food and other debris suspended in the water column until its picked up by a form of filtration (like a skimmer). Its important to avoid any dead spots in the tank so that there is no build up, leading to issues down the road. Corals need the flow powerheads offer as well, some corals need more/less than others so again that would depend. For my 60 galllon I have two of the Koralia 1050s, that may help give you an idea.

If it were me, I'd skip the live sand and just use dry. Most of the 'live' in the live sand is already dead due it sitting in shelves and in an airtight bag. Will save you money as well to go to dry sand.

There is no ratio, per say (that I've ever came across) regarding how much live rock in relation to dry. You could start out with all dry if you wanted. From my understanding 1-1.5lbs per gallon is recommended for filtration purposes
(more is fine), it also provides places fish to hide/etc and space to place corals. I like Macrorock for dry rock. I started out with 50lbs live and 25lbs dry, I also added another 10lbs live after I cured it.

Also, in case you don't know, you really need to use RO/DI water for a saltwater tank, not tap. You can get RO/DI from LFSs, out of machines like at Walmart, or you can get your own RO/DI filter. I recommend the latter. I have my own unit.

Thanks for the advice guys. It had been recommended to me that I should use a 60/40 split of live rock/base rock. And the base rock will become live rock in about 6 months. For my start up I think I'm going to buy some RO water from my lfs but would like to get my own RODI set up soon. Where my tank is I can't really suspend or hang my lighting so I will have to decide what I want to do on that. Right now I have a full hood and the light sits on it. I've read that I don't have to have filtration in a tank that size but it wouldn't hurt. I was thinking the filtration would act as a power head maybe. I'm excited about starting but bummed that I have to wait about 8 weeks before adding fish.

Well, got it put together last night. Needs more rock but we're on our way. Still have to get a skimmer and test kit and a power head or two.

image-1959947045.jpg

Last night

image-3469731561.jpg

This morning

yeah definitely more rock! On your way though, I've got some ideas for an aquascape, but hey it's your tank, can't wait till the next set of pics. I think I rescaped mine about 8-9 times before I was happy. Have fun!

This is my first sw tank. I welcome any and all suggestions. It was way too cloudy when I set it up to arrange the rock in any fashion. I hope to do that today. I plan on getting some base rock ASAP so the live rock can start seeding it. I also hope my water wasn't too cold for any creatures attached to or in the rock when I put it in. I was afraid to leave it out for too long.

This is my first sw tank. I welcome any and all suggestions. It was way too cloudy when I set it up to arrange the rock in any fashion. I hope to do that today. I plan on getting some base rock ASAP so the live rock can start seeding it. I also hope my water wasn't too cold for any creatures attached to or in the rock when I put it in. I was afraid to leave it out for too long.

Better in water than out I suppose, you're definitely gonna need a heat source depending on the size of your tank will determine the heater. I've got a 10g with Fluval E-series 50 watt. You should check out the E-Series, I've got two tanks and use the 300 Watt in my 55 and the 50 in my 10. I figure I'm not overworking them so they'll last longer. My tanks hold there temp nice and steady very important with a reef.

:popcorn:

Oh, a heater was the first thing I purchased. It's in there and the temp is already up to a warmer 76 degrees this morning. I imagine it will be up to proper temp (80 degrees) by the time I get home tonight. So what was your aquascape suggestion? I've been looking at different tanks trying to get some ideas to start with.

Oh, a heater was the first thing I purchased. It's in there and the temp is already up to a warmer 76 degrees this morning. I imagine it will be up to proper temp (80 degrees) by the time I get home tonight. So what was your aquascape suggestion? I've been looking at different tanks trying to get some ideas to start with.

Because you've got a tall tank I'd go with 3 pinnacle's. Build up a bit taller around the sides to mask your equipment and put a medium one in the middle and have some lower rubble spilling out toward the front. Almost like a W with smaller reef in the front of the tank. It would be easier to show you a picture but it's in my head right now... Do what you think will look cool, I scuba dive so I've got eccentric ideas and can't wait to get the hang of doing SW and move to a larger tank. I've got a pretty small tank but here's a link to my build page I was told to keep open pockets on the bottom of the tank to allow for flow and help to prevent certain bacteria from growing. I tried to put in some swim throughs for the fish and have some over hang. I've got a total of 5 pieces = 15 lbs. I'm not saying my way is best it's just what I like. As Mr.Myagi said, "Close eye, see picture. Open eye, make like picture." I love the classics... Have fun!

:brows:

Because you've got a tall tank I'd go with 3 pinnacle's. Build up a bit taller around the sides to mask your equipment and put a medium one in the middle and have some lower rubble spilling out toward the front. Almost like a W with smaller reef in the front of the tank. It would be easier to show you a picture but it's in my head right now... Do what you think will look cool, I scuba dive so I've got eccentric ideas and can't wait to get the hang of doing SW and move to a larger tank. I've got a pretty small tank but here's a link to my build page I was told to keep open pockets on the bottom of the tank to allow for flow and help to prevent certain bacteria from growing. I tried to put in some swim throughs for the fish and have some over hang. I've got a total of 5 pieces = 15 lbs. I'm not saying my way is best it's just what I like. As Mr.Myagi said, "Close eye, see picture. Open eye, make like picture." I love the classics... Have fun!

:brows:

That sounds like a good starting point. I will attempt and see how it goes. I'm thinking a curved "W" might be cool. I was also thing of some live plants but that is still up in the air at this point. I believe I have 32lbs of live rock and 60lbs of live sand. Still have another 57lbs of rock to go. Seems like a lot till you start putting it in place. Thanks for the advice.

What types of plants? 57 lbs of rock gets you to 90 lbs total. You don't have to be at 90, I think that's the maximum, but I'm new here to the SW world as well. 60 lbs of sand 1.25 inch sandbed? Those rocks in the pic must be bigger than they look cause they don't look like 32 lbs of rock. I'm lookin forward to seeing your tank move along. Keep the pics coming.

I didn't think it looked like 32lbs either but the one big one is really heavy. I'd like some that's more porous to finish off. I have no clue what type of plants yet. I know I want a clown and a blue tang but I haven't researched the plants yet. An anemone or two would be nice but I don't know. It's still up in the air.

I didn't think it looked like 32lbs either but the one big one is really heavy. I'd like some that's more porous to finish off. I have no clue what type of plants yet. I know I want a clown and a blue tang but I haven't researched the plants yet. An anemone or two would be nice but I don't know. It's still up in the air.

Here's a place that looks reasonable on the plants, I may look into this but will do some more research first as I'm not sure if I've got enough sand bed. Check this out!

My sand bed is about 2.5 to. 3 inches. My 45 is aprox 36x13x23. I would think I have plenty of sand bed. Some of those plants look promising.

Now I've got to post pictures of my rock to get help in determining what is growing on them. I had a crab if it survived. I haven't seen it since I put it in the aquarium. I also have a worm or sea cucumber maybe and 3 sponges. I'm just guessing on the sponges.

What is on my rock?

Attachments

• image-1713489409.jpg
    image-1713489409.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 90
  • image-328354581.jpg
    image-328354581.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 103
  • image-1789842617.jpg
    image-1789842617.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 77
  • image-2485109207.jpg
    image-2485109207.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 78
  • image-3823074835.jpg
    image-3823074835.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 101
The four pics look like Aptasia. If your not getting corals, might be ok. But if it gets really big it can sting fish too. The pic of the black one with spikes looks like a sea urchin, those are pretty cool and shouldn't hurt anything. Anyone with a reef would say kill the aptasia ASAP. Depends on your plans.

The four pics look like Aptasia. If your not getting corals, might be ok. But if it gets really big it can sting fish too. The pic of the black one with spikes looks like a sea urchin, those are pretty cool and shouldn't hurt anything. Anyone with a reef would say kill the aptasia ASAP. Depends on your plans.

I don't plan on doing a reef but I'll research it. I have noticed that it retracts onto the rock at night and comes back out when the lights are turned back on. The black thing with spikes relocated itself over night so I too think its a sea urchin. How do you kill it of that's what I want to do?

Back
Top Bottom