Newbie To Salt Water Aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No plans for a reef tank then?
Not to dis Marineland, but the Fluval's generaly get the best remarks.

Use both heaters. The insurance a backup provides is worth it.

What about lighting?

You are not planning on getting an anemone, right?

Yes I want the Reef Before adding fish I want to have the best lighting for my reef... Before I go on.... How would I start off on starting the reef if any one has and idea? From what I've read the starting point would be Live Rocks then add the Coral or Anemones.....? Any one have any more Ideas or is this right on how to start out? So Fluval's generally the best to go with on filtration huh?

I'll kind of piggy back Captainahab's recommendation but if you can afford it, get the 405 series (the newer model) I have the 304 and it is kind of tough to "crack" open to clean. The 05 series is much easier.

Yeah i'll be sticking with the 404 model... Hopefully it's just as good as the 405 model...:BIG:

You do realize that for a reef tank the cannister filter will need to be cleaned more often than suggested to keep your nitrates in check. Or you could do larger/more frequent pwc's.

You start the tank as you would any other. Get the rocks and sand in the tank, fill with per-mixed sw and cycle the tank. After the cycle completes do a large 30% -50% water change and check stability over the next week or so before adding any livestock.

When you get it, take all the foam out. Fill 2 or 3 of the 4 media baskets with LR rubble (small pieces of LR) . Leave 1 or 2 media baskets open. In the future if you need to run carbon, GFO, or anything else you can pop the top open and use the empty media baskets for that.

With the foam out and using LR rubble there is very little maintenance. Basically a 1 gallon sump with a pump included :)

With no foam media, the 'nitrate factory' phrase you'll hear talked about is greatly reduced.

Alright i've been reading that this Fluval 404 is a piece of crap and it's Discountinued.... Any one else has a Good suggestion and a Descent Filtration system that would work will with a Reef Tank? Thank for the info CMOR1701d and CaptainAhab....

If i hadn't yet Thanks for all your Input Guys... All your help is much needed...

It's discontinued because the newer models are out, not due to deficiencies. I'm not sure where you get your information from but I'm sure they must have recommended the best canister filter out there. You should grab that one.

Good Luck

I agree, not too sure why they would say the 404s are no good. What did they recommend?

Hey guy just to show you what I will be working with my 50 gallon Reef Tank Soon to be.... But I will be posting pictures with my work from time to time.... Let me know what you guys think about it?... I'm so Excited!!!!! :)
img_884608_0_40791cfc0cd170912b8a396196c481af.jpg

That's a nice looking tank and stand. I wouldn't set it up by a window.

That the only spot I would have.... There are many windows in these new place we live in...LOL... Question? Will a 60gallon Bucket of salt be ok for the 50 gallon tank?

Yeah, that should be good. You can take into account less actual water in the tank due to the substrate and rock taking up some space. I usually buy about 3 of the 160Lbs buckets of salt, from drsfosterandsmith.com. They have awesome shipping charges.

Yeah I had a buddy tell me the same thing about drfosterandsmith.com they have great shipping charges and great prices.... Hey roka64 thanks for all your advice it's really been a big help....

Sure, no problem! A lot of those other folks have helped me tons.

RC. I seemed to have cyano issues with IO, but I am on well water using an RO/DI and with RC I don't have the cyano. That is just my personal experience. There are lots of folks that use IO (and other salt mixes, for that matter) with great success.

Back
Top Bottom