Newbie with a few Questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phiberop

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am new to this and have a 46 gallow bow front SW tank. I started this on Saturday. I have a Penguin 330 Bio Filter and a Sea Clone 100 PS. I am not going to start with Reef just the basics. I want to learn as much as I can and ask the experts before I introduce Fish. I just have a few Questions and if anyone can point me to some good reading that would be great. Thanks

1. Should I have the PS running and the filter for the Setup period?
2. I just read that adding Raw Shrimp will help the bio cycle get started. Is this true?
3. My tank is cloudy. Will that go away or should it be treated?
4. Are there any pointers that would help me in the process of the maturation period?

Thanks much for the help.

1. You shouldn't need a protein skimmer right now, usually that is just used to clean the water once fish and stuff have been introduced into the tank.
2. I've heard of adding raw shrimp. Some do, some don't. Some have had success with adding fish right away, and some haven't. Basically, if you want it to cycle quicker, get a cheap fish (damsel for example) and that will help cycle, and if he doesn't make it, too sad, but not a huge $$ loss.
3. The cloudiness will go away with time. The best thing with salt tanks is to be patient and not rush IMO.
4. Just read, read, read. There are plenty of topics online on saltwater care. It will seem overwhelming, but you'll have plenty of time while the tank is cycling. When in doubt, go to your local pet store, and buy a marine book. That's how I started. My first book was marine aquariums. Very informative.

Lots of luck in your new hobby--the hardest thing is accepting your first loss, and keep in mind, you will have one, but that will also encourage the hunt for more information.

HAVE FUN!

Stacy

I think that my first piece of advice would be to read everything on this forum that you can. You find many answers to questions that you didn't know that you had.

Is your water cloudy from when you poured the water onto the sand? If that's the case, my water did that and it was gone by the next day. I rinsed out my sand before putting it in the tank. I just wanted to get rid of all of the excess silt. You'll have people tell you to rinse sand or not to rinse it. I think it's a matter of personal preference.

Good luck
Jim

2. I've heard of adding raw shrimp. Some do, some don't. Some have had success with adding fish right away, and some haven't. Basically, if you want it to cycle quicker, get a cheap fish (damsel for example) and that will help cycle, and if he doesn't make it, too sad, but not a huge $$ loss.
8O

That is the biggest thing I see wrong with that method. It all but teaches someone that the fish is disposable and don't feel bad about forcing it live in a toxic environment for a month while you work things out in your tank. I will also state that using a live fish will NOT make the cycle go any faster. PhibeRob, Please read our local article on how to Cycle Without Fish. It will answer a number of your questions. You can also check out our Articles Section for a few other articles written by members here, and then check out our list of Recomended Books for saltware aquariums. Many here sing the praises of the Consciencous Marine Aquarist.

I cycled my tank over a year ago with damsels, one is still in there. I wish the bugger had bit the big one back then, he is a mean little @#$@. Stick to the shrimp, damsels just get mean.

Newbie with Q's

Thank you all for the advice. I will be patient and read more. Just got back from the book store and I got some good material.

Thanks

i recommend lots of LR (and maybe an additive like cycle) and substrate from another established tank, and lots of circulation 10-20 cycles per hour

Back
Top Bottom