newer tank now this help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pmapes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK set up a new tank live rock and sand had it running for about 2 weeks then too water to get tested all was good. then added cleaner fish snails about 6 in total. 2 Giant crabs not sure of name and about 5 hermit crabs. I have a 27 gal tank and about 2 days after added cleaner stuff the tank started to turn green on the tank walls and rocks. did do something wrong? or what

What's a cleaner fish? And can you scrape off the green? Like algae? What was the chemical you added?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I refer to the snails, crabs and shrimp as cleaner fish but I did not add shrimp. It does wipe right off because I can see the path the snail took down the glass.

I did not add any chemical, I've added a little salt to get the salt levels up a little. Only thing that was different was the little water from the pet store that got in when I added the snails and crabs

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like algae. Have you gotten a brown coating over the rocks and sand yet?

oh ya that's there. was hoping it would start to clear up not turn tank green

Do you have a picture of the tank? It sounds like it is cycling. 2 weeks really isn't enough time to fully cycle a tank unless you used 100% cured live rock.

The sand is brown, the glass is green.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like it is cycling. 2 weeks really isn't enough time to fully cycle a tank unless you used 100% cured live rock.

I have to agree fully with Bribo it's most likely still cycling

When adding stock to your tank you never want to add that dirty filthy water from the fish shop , that nasty water could have fueled the green algae,
it could also bring in unwanted parasites ,

ya I thought that after I dumped the first bag of hermit crabs in there. and then other bags I drained.

it is starting to Clear up some. I've kept my light off most the day. will the brown on sand ever go away? and the sand is live sand but there is like plastic parts all though out it. doesn't really look good to the eye at all. all kinds of lumps and stuff.

Back
Top Bottom