Newly cycled tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spence0416

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just wanted to get others experience on this...

I finished up my cycle a couple days ago, and haven't really gotten much in terms of algae. Is this common? I don't want to add any knid of clean up crew if they will just starve because of the lack of algae. My lighting is very weak as it is the standard 20 watt NO that came with the tank. I will be upgrading once I save some cash but for now it will be FOWLR.

And on top of it all I have been using tap water...I was expecting a seious diatom outbreak that never happened. Is this because of the lighting?

BY the way, I am not complaining :D I probably just completely jinxed myself with this post :onfire:

What are your water parameters? Can you post them ... Ammo, Trites, Trates, Ph, SG, Temp??? Usually if you haven't seen a diatom outbreak your cycle wasn't kicked off hard enough, What did you use to cycle?

Ammonia: 0
Trites: 0
Trates 10
PH: 8.4
SG 1.022
Temp swings from 82-84F

Initially the ammonia spiked up to 2+, then the trites went up to around 5. Everything settled down to the current levels. I started the cycle with frozen plankton cubes back on July 26th. I have since added 5 lbs of live rock and about 25 lbs of base rock.

Its been my experiance that the diatoms comes after the cycle, and then it might not. Adding crabs would be fine, they will eat whats on the LR and feeding the tank some flake food will give them what they need.
My 55 never got any diatom when I used cured LR....

Back
Top Bottom