NEXT FISH A CLOWN???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

first-timer89

Aquarium Advice Freak
Would it be ok to add a pair of true percs to my 75 gallon? I have a 1 lemon, 1 yellow tail, and 1 blue damsel. The blue is kinda proctive of his part of the tank. They are all about 1 inch or less. Would it be better to add something else first? I might be going to the fish store today and i cant find any info on this anywhere! Thanks :D

I don't see a problem with that. Damsels can sometimes be quite aggressive, but as damselfishes, clownfish can be just as mean. In my 29 g, my pair of percs get along just fine with a lemon and blue damsel. The blue damsel is a little mean toward the lemon, but doesn't mess with the clowns at all (and you have quite a bit more room than me). Clownfish are also extremely hardy. I think they would certainly be the best fish to add next.

It's never a good idea to add a less aggressive fish to an established tank of more aggressive fish, unless you are willing to remove one or the other if needed. What kind of fish are you thinking of adding later? I think a psuedochromis makes a nice last addition to many tanks.

Agree with Phases, the most aggresive should go last.
You could try and if the damsel is after them too much, you could always take him back to you LFS. They are most likely used to this type of return.

Can i put the blue damsel in a breader net while I put in the clowns? Would this help? I have no problem catching them because I feed them out of a net at least once a week. :D

Blues are a pain - very territorial. Try shaking up the territory a bit by rearranging the live rock right before you add the clowns. Cute trick - works great.

I agree that if you plan to add any other less aggressive fish, do so before you add the clowns. Percs and small sebaes seem to more easily accept new fish than do any of the other clowns.

Enjoy,
JG

IME, percs are not as aggressive as other clowns. I agree, you definitely want to consider what fish you plan to add in the future and add the less aggressive first. In yout case with the damsels you may already have the most aggressive fish already. A lot of people do this though as damsels are very hardy and usually recommended as starter fish by those that do not use a fishless cycle.

As with all rules/guidelines there are exceptions. I had a domino damsel early on and added most of my fish after that including a green clown goby. Take a look at what I have in my 75g currently all get along. I do plan to move out some fish as they grow to prevent future issues due to size. I would not recommend stocking this heavy. Learning experience for me before I knew better.

I would say try it and just be prepared to step in if trouble does erupt. If you do not already, I would also suggest using a QT and leave it setup so you can move fish back to it if you do have aggression problems.

Good luck,

I agree with everything that is said above about adding most aggressive last. If you cant I have read of som tricks that might be helpful. Use a plastic pasto colander(strainer) and float it in the tank and put the aggresive fish in it for a couple of hours while the new fish get acclimated to the surroundings. Once he is confined change the aquascaping so once he is released it is new for him as well and not just his territory.

The thing you said about the strainer is what I plan to do with the breader net. I did a fishless cycle. I bought the three damsels because it was a new shipment of fish at the lfs and the 3 damsels where way outsized and started to get picked on. I think I will take back the blue if I have truble with the clowns. The other 2 damsels(lemon and yellow tail) are very shy and get along very well/share hiding spaces. Will the clowns pick on a blenny if I where to get one later? Thanks for the suggestions.

What type of blenny? One thing to consider is size. If the new fish you are adding are smaller I think it increases the chances of being picked on. If the blenny is at least as big or bigger I do not think it would be a problem.

I dont know what blenny yet. Am I right in waiting to add a tang (not decided yet) untill I have all the other fish I want in the tank? Thanks

Are you planning on reef critters as well? Everytime I go to the fish store I sigh and pass the tangs by. They are so prone to ich that unless you have the extra tank for a proper QT.......

Anyhow, can't treat a reef tank for an ick outbreak easily. Reef critters are too sensitive to the effective meds.

IME, tangs are only a problem when not properly qt or placed in a stressful environment. I would agree that pacific blue (dori) and some are more prone to ick though. My Orange shoulder and Yellow tang have not had a problem even when others did have ick.

If planning on a tang or angels I would highly recommend getting a cleaner shrimp or two established in the tank. I know they are not a cure for ick, but as a prevention method I think they are awesome.

HTH,

Sorry. I frogot to tell you what i allrady have. I have 3 red hermits, 10 blue leg hermits, 3 turbo snails, 2 pepperment shrimp, and a few hitchhiker crabs and snails. Would this change anything? Sorry I frogot :oops:

No, actually a good start toward your cleanup crew. Easliy could triple the hermits and snails. Rule of thumb for snails and hermits is 1/gallon. I go with 1/2 that.

Back
Top Bottom