Next Steps - 30gallon start up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gwhite314

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Tank is full. Readings are all zero and sg looks good. I have the following equipment hooked up: AquaC Remora 800, Hydor 600, heater. I also have a Fluval cannister filter available, but would that be overkill on a 30g?

I am hoping to pick up some live rock next week, if the person selling it isn't sold out. From what I have been reading, I just place the rock in the tank and then be diligent with cleaning up the debris and monitoring the water reading. Also, I should through in some shrimp or other seafoody pieces to feed the critters on the rocks.

If this all goes well, how quickly should I think about adding a cleaner crew and fish?

Thanks in advance.

ive never heard of too much filtration. you shouldnt need to add any food for the LR critters. be sure to check your parameters after you add the rock. you shouldnt add a CUC until you see a bit of algae so they have something to eat. it could take around a week to get the algae that you want, but thats not 100%. a fish could follow in a week or two depending on how the tank adjusts to the CUC. what are you planning on getting for the tank?

Is the rock fully cured and how will you be getting?
I would suggest you add the rock and a pinch of food, test for ammonia in 3-4 days, if ammonia is present you will need to fully cycle the tank before adding critters. When the cycle is complete, you can add a very small clean up crew and add more later as the tank matures.

Rock is coming from somebody near by that is tearing down their tanks and selling the rock. It is still in their tank and fully established. It will be about a 20 minute transit time.

Ok, either bring it back in buckets of SW or wrap in moist newspapers, to reduce die-off.

Back
Top Bottom