Nicki's 50 gallon starphire seahorse tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah there's probably a reason why they said do not exceed dosing 5 ppm. BillBug has a good theory. How long did it take for your tank to cycle, czwicky?

Woot woot! Everything came in today! The boxes and bags smelled putrid like something died, but after putting the snails/algae in looked like everything made it.

Dang I was not expecting this much macro algae. The price for quantity/quality is amazing! Definitely recommend live-plants.com (where I purchased the stuff).

Rough draft:

Attachments

• image-1354640082.jpg
    image-1354640082.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 204
Oh forgot to mention this awesome branching coralline algae that has a neon pink/purple color. This is better than most corals and cheaper!

Attachments

• image-3842665505.jpg
    image-3842665505.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 173
Thanks guys. It definitely has lots of color now.

Looking to order the seahorses sometime next week.

Opinions on this:

3 Waitei Anthias
vs.
Helfrichi Firefish

Tested levels today and it doesn't look good...

Ammonia: .25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 40

So I added the nitrifying bacteria. I'm surprised that the sea pen & gorgonians are still semi-okay when there's ammonia present.

Tank looks great! I plan on doing a seahorse tank middle of next year so I will be following.

So here's how the tank is coming along. A few hours after I added Dr. Tim's One & Only Nitrifying Bacteria, the ammonia went to 0. It has stayed 0. Over the days the nitrate went from 20 to where it's at now, 5! I was a bit skeptical, but that stuff was a lifesaver!

I have also added a Copperband butterfly. My dad's favorite fish so I had been looking for one that ate frozen foods and finally found one. I know these are hard to keep, but there will be almost no competition for food, will be fed 2-3 times a day frozen & live foods. So I think it has a better chance than most.

Picture time (clearer this time) :dance:

left side
img_2598143_0_31df7450067d84d652af235d1aa2673e.jpg

right side
http://i1352.photobucket.com/albums/q641/inevitableodyssey/IMG_0012_zps76f80fbf.jpg

FTS
img_2598143_1_96e66a8e673bfbce67f8105142639b1f.jpg

Gorgonian is finally completely open after 2 weeks of being partly open.
img_2598143_2_8bf6558ab44ceb61ad4d5ed0711a2c47.jpg

The curious tail spot blenny
img_2598143_3_29ad96351b9f943c27fd1ca0d7ad6dbb.jpg

Newest addition, Copper (bit camera shy)
img_2598143_4_5f878edb61ad76abedc8eadde7c9556f.jpg

That tank is looking great! I like all the macro algae and especially that branching coralline! When are you getting the seahorse?

Thank you. It serves as a more suitable and appealing environments for seahorses. I have my order on hold and am just waiting to get the nitrates and temp down before getting them. A LFS owner said he could get aquacultured orange/red brazilian seahorses at a really great price so maybe Wednesday I'll know if the wholesaler has them in stock.

Well I went ahead and ordered the light and an Aquatek 4 fan system to help with the heating issue.

Some random things that I've noticed:

Snails escape the tank often! In 3 days I've picked up about 8 nerite snails from the floor. They always revive.

My gorgonian shed. Didn't know that was possible, but I guess it is and it's finally opened completely.

Worst that's happened. Copper has ich! This could set back getting the seahorses :eek:

I don't want to use copper on Copper..haha..get it? I feel the hyposalinity treatment would stress him out more. The last method is transferring, but doesn't seem like a likely solution.

Can fish fight ich on their own?

If the ich disappears from Copper, I'm assuming it can still be a threat if I added seahorses?

Attachments

• image-3395351887.jpg
    image-3395351887.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 140
Got some awesome buys yesterday. A red and orange sponge and a sea pen. The sea pen moves sometimes which is really cool to watch. Going to fix the aquascape and placement of the corals, but here's how it looks now. Also ordered macroalgae.

Anyone have suggestions/references for green, yellow, or fancy marine plants?

What is the coral at the bottom left of the first picture? I really like it....

It's a sea pen. I wouldn't have gotten it if my mom didn't buy it. Very cool coral. It buries itself completely in the sand every night and comes out in the morning. If it's appearance isn't a wow factor, that behavior definitely is (at least to me). They're filter feeders so I feed phytoplankton daily.

It's a sea pen. I wouldn't have gotten it if my mom didn't buy it. Very cool coral. It buries itself completely in the sand every night and comes out in the morning. If it's appearance isn't a wow factor, that behavior definitely is (at least to me). They're filter feeders so I feed phytoplankton daily.

I meant to say that it is the white colored bushy plant on the front left of your tank

Back
Top Bottom