Nitrate Poisoning?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tjreef

Aquarium Advice Regular
I found my copperband stuck on powerhead and where it is usually is silver turned light brown. Nitrate level is at 160 ppm. I am going to do a water change tonight. I think the nitrates went up because one of the powerheads keeps falling and mixing up gravel. Also been had ballast capacitor blow up and had to solder a new capacitor and fuse in so 2 t5s went down for 4 hrs.

Tank-125gal 6ft long (no idea what the other demensions are)
Light-Odyssea 4x80w t5ho with timer
Sump-20gal
Protein skimmer-red sea 25-250gal triple pass
Return pump-650gph

I think some of this need to be improved im working on getting a protein skimmer and i think the return pump should be alot higher gph. Any opinions on a better setup? And id have a reef yet.

Also are skimmers better in the sump as apposed to it being pump feed outside pump?

If I had room for an external sump I'd do that in a second. Anything to free up room for rocks and/or cheato.

I do have an external sump just not very big... cheato? Im new to aquariums this year

Chaeto is a type of macroalgae that consumes nitrates and phosphates when it grows. It is kept in a refugium (separate tank or section of the sump) with a light over it to grow. IMO an algae scrubber is MUCH better. I was in your situation (nitrate over 160) I added my algae scrubber and within two months they are holding at 20. Every water change they drop. But for you, get a mag 12 return, AA bigger sump (40g breeder or 55g) get a reef octopus NW 200, and an algae scrubber. That's pretty much my setup. Except I have a mag 18. But here's a pic of my setup.

Attachments

• image-3920559471.jpg
    image-3920559471.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 90
Ok thanks and ya have been kinda reading bout fuges and i was windering if we need a light like wuts on the aquarium.. and do u kno if my light is big enough? Or do i need another fixture with 2 t5s

K ill try that i have a 40 gal breeder that i dont use need to clean it out though. Any ideas? A little bleach and get a good rinse or use somethin else?

And i have a couple cabinet lights would that work it still has the bulb that were in it?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121111_122755.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121111_122755.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 121
  • ForumRunner_20121111_122819.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121111_122819.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 93
Bleach is fine. The 40 breeder would allow you way more space for equipment and a refugium. I'd make the refugium as large as possible.

How much bleach to water would you use? Is it better to have your skimmer in the fuge or out side..

I should gradually bring the salinity up then. Any ideas on bleach to water ratio?

I mean they may "work" but you want something to grow it like a weed. I would get a cfl bulb and use that with reflectors. Should work well.

K im going to try and turn the 40 gal in to a refuge today gonna have to look and see if lfs has that algae

A 3-part water to 1-part bleach would be fine. It isn't a science so it doesn't need to be anything specific. Some people go 1:1 or 10:1.

You'll want to avoid the cabinet light. A cfl worked for me for years. My brother uses a single 24" T5 plant grow light from Amazon that rocks.

Back
Top Bottom