nitrate processor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gavh86

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank has nitrites would a nitrate processor speed it up ??

Nitrites are at the highest and soo is nitrates and 0 amonia

What filtration are you using and what was your ammonia source. My tank had recently cycled and this forum helped me loads. Hopefully someone with more experience will chip in. I will try and help you out though

Check out some of the threads I started on my profile. Lots of experienced people on there helped me out loads.

My tank has nitrites would a nitrate processor speed it up ??
Short answer is "no."
A nitrate processor crates an anoxic (oxygen depleted) zone in which to grow anaerobic bacteria which convert nitrate to gaseous nitrogen, which is then released into the atmosphere by diffusion. It will not speed up your cycle, and could give you confusing readings until the cycle is finished.
Nitrate processors are largely unnecessary for the average tank, as nitrates are removed during water changes. I personally prefer to use macro algae in combination with water changes to control nitrates. In very large systems, they could be useful, though.
As for speeding up the cycle, just be patient. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby. I cycled with mostly precured live rock and bottled bacteria additives, and so had a fairly short cycle, but it was still more than a week. Make sure there is an ammonia source (un scented ammonia, a shrimp, or fish food each day), and check your levels. At this point in the cycle, I wouldn't waste time and testing materials checking everyday ay. Maybe every two or three days. But when you start seeing nitrates rise while ammonia and nitrite drop, then start testing daily.
In the meantime, relax and have fun!

Back
Top Bottom