NITRATES!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hbright

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
O.K. I need some help on what to do with my filtration. This is my first saltwater tank and unfortunately, I didnt know NOT to get CC substrate when the "expert" at the LFS reccomended it, so I have about 3" of CC substrate. I am working towards making my tank into a reef but now I am having a problem with Nitrates. They never seem to fall below 40 even after water changes (RO/DI water always). I have bioballs in my filter along with filter media. There is also one of those sponge blocks that sits below the bioballs, and a prefilter in the overflow, So basically my tank is a mean, nitrate producing machine! What do I need to change? I have about 70 LBS of LR, CC substrate as stated before, no skimmer yet......75 gal, 2 damsels, 2 clowns, crabs, snails...........
It seems to me that all the sponges and filter media are the culprit.
Oh yeah, I would like some advice other than changing the substrate to live sand, although I plan to do it eventually, I cant immediately.
Thanks,
Heather

First off I would invest in a nice skimmer (I wouldn't skimp here or you might find yourself buying another one 6 months down the road :D ) Then I would slowly begin removing any bioballs/biomedia. Remove about a third, give it a week or two, and repeat until you have removed it all. That combined with removing the crushed coral should get you where you need to be. As long as you keep your bioload reasonable, your LR and skimmer should have no problem keeping up with filtration needs. Another option (if space/money allows) is the addition of a refugium in which you can culture some macroalgaes; this can help with nutrient export as well as providing some free planktonic foods for your fish/corals. HTH

I really dont have the space for a refugium right now. Is is possible to keep macroalgae in the sump or main tank to help w/ nitrates?

Because im getting married and I have to save $$$ and i've already spent way over my limit lately. I guess I could if it was an emergency but I really dont need to spend any more $ for live sand right now. I have a honeymoon to save for!

The switch to a DSB can be cheap. Just use play sand. Try to get southdown tropical playsand, if you can't find it at your local home depot, just get some regular play sand in the smallest grain size you can find. The sand should only cost you $3.00 to $5.00 per 50lb bag.

Brian

Exactly where I was going, great info Brian. If you need it, I have an article on doing a complete substrate swap.

YOu have some good advice above on the removal of the bioballs and filter media. They will do the same job that your CC will do for you. On the CC simply get a sand vacuum and clean your substraight. A good maintenance schedule will take care of any build ups you may encounter.

good luck on the marrage

Mike

Please send me a copy of that article too. Is ok to leave the fish in there white changing it? You guys are great thanks for all the help!
My address is hthrncrdl@hotmail.com
Heather :B-fly:

Oh, I forgot, how often is safe to vacuum the substrate? I am afrain of restarting my cycle if I do it too often. By the way, i have already seen a small drop in nitrates since I cleaned all the prefilter sponges and put new filter media in above the bio balls. I left the large rectangular sponge out that was below the bioballs . Should I put it back in or not? It didnt seen to have much of a purpose and my water is staying clear without it. I left the prefilter in the overflow in the tank corner so it could catch any uneaten food.

What about mixing some beach sand in with the play sand? would this be safe? I will be going to the beach in a few weeks for the finals of a contest I won there on spring break and was just wondering about the sand.

I don't think using beach sand is a very good idea because of the possibility that it may contain contaminants and pollutants (i.e. tar).

btw -- what kinda contest did you win?

hbright you vacuum the substraight based on the bio load and the ammount you feed (ie if you have a bunch of fish and you feed alot ) you would do it more often. I vacuum mine once a month. As per the recycle, it is inpossible to cycle from vacuuming you sand. As per sponges and media and anything like that, they are traps and will produce nitrates as thier is not anoxic zones present so you have to choices, clean them every few days or remove them and dont worry about them. If you have a skimmer you wouldnt want to have the prefilter in the overflows either.

On the sand you are thinking about collecting, I am not what you want to do with it. Is it for your tank? if you are worried about nasties that are in thier I would simply lay it out in the sun and let it dry out, then a good rince and it will be fine. I would keep the bleach in the luandry room :D

Mike

Miller,
I won this bikini contest a when I was at the beach during spring break :roll: The club had multiple contests and invited all the winners back for a finals round. I really don't want to go but its a free trip so what the heck.My friends always talk me into doing the most stupid things!!!

Thats why I usually dont mention it......where exactly would those pictures go in the photo gallery.....just kidding :roll: It's really sort of stupid but I like the prize money.

is it possible to post a link to that article here so you don't have to e-mail it to everyone in the world Hoops?

'cause... you know... I'd like it too! :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom