Nitrates problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leeh24

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,

Can anyone give me some suggestion on how to bring nitrates down and keep them down.

At moment they are sitting between 5 and 10.

I have been doing 20% water changes weekly with ro water and still to now avail. I am feeding every couple of day and not too much.

I am using live rock in back chambers with skimmer it's 94l river reef tank.

Tank been running for around a year however it was moved around 2 months ago.

All other params are good and fish are healthy enough but it's just very annoying.

Any help would be great.

Lee

That's a very acceptable level of nitrates. Not bad at all. I bet if you did a couple of 20% water changes back to back for a few weeks you would get them down and keep them down.

Hi Scott,
I know there not extremely high but just annoying when I see the test going slightly orange every time I test.
I been doing about 20% weekly but you think if I do a couple of back to back changes they will drop and stay dropped ?
Lee

I used to could (is that a proper phrase? lol) never get my nitrates down under 20 no matter how many water changes I did.

If you are sure you're doing everything properly and can't get it down with water changes you could try "the vodka method". I didn't want to deal with that, so I bought Instant Ocean Natural Nitrate Reducer (it uses suspended carbs like the vodka method does) and works in conjuction with your skimmer to bring organics out of the water.

I now maintain between 2.5 and 5 nitrates. Occasionally I will get a reading lower than 2.

EDIT| I think you're also using the API nitrate test kit. These are not terribly accurate. If you can, get a salifert nitrate test kit! They're a little bit more expensive but much more accurate.

Back
Top Bottom