nitrite at 2 please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jester

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok last wensday I tested water and my nitrites were at 4 everything else was good I have changed the water 25% 3 times already the nitrite dropped to 2 I added some nitromix what else can i do i think this happend because i was feeding them to much I have 7 inches of fish and snails shrimp and hermits thanks

Usually high nitrites either meant the your tank in still in the final stages of cylling or just that the water quality is bad. How often to you do water changes? I suggest for you to do at least 2-15% a month. Also, you can get some fludized filters or more live rock on your tank in order to break down that nitrites. Also, if you can afford it, you sould use some nitrofying bacteria additives, weekly until it goes down. My suggestion would be to use Hagen Cylce at least 2 a week, until the levels have gone down.

There is not much you can do to reduce nitrites except wait. Doing water changes will just prolong the bacteria build up that will reduce nitrite.

ok i will wait it out thank you everything was fine for a month now it went up i dont know y but thanks for the help

Have you used another kit to double check the accuracy of the first one? Just seems weird to me that your tank was "fine for a month" (You mean cycled, right?) and all of a sudden, nitrites show up.

You didn't wash your bio balls or remove them and replace them with new ones did you? Have you made any changes to your system at all?

What is your feeding schedule, what do you feed, and how much do you feed?

Feeding too much could definatley cause it, that and/or not cleaing the filters enough. I couldn't belive how much food was laying in my friends tank the other day just rotting away 8O

I was feeding them one 3 inch peice of dried seaweed and one peicec of 3inch dried algee 1 cube of frozen mysis shrimp 1 cubefrozen of formula 2 ocean nutrition some formula some ocean formula 2 pellets and some tetra marine flakes I now know this is to much what should i give them

wow, yeah thats probably your probelm, i would alternate the seaweed and algae same with the mysis shrimp and the other frozen foods and mabey a alternate the pellets and the flakes, you would probably be fine with just the seaweed or the algae on a clip and only one of your other foods, how many pellets and about how much flake do you put in there?

a pinch of flakes and about 20 pellets as of 3 days ago i am only giving then half a cube of mysis and half of formula two frozen is that enough

i dont think it will hurt them too have even less, i would get rid of the flakes one day and only do pellets then the next day go with the flakes and leave out the pellets, i know its hard not too feed them but its better for them not too be over fed.

Yeah, I would say feed all the things you are feeding, but give them some variety. Like e-cat said, give flakes one day, pellets the next, mix in some mysis. They are just liek us, they like to have variety, but it can be spread out more.

Also, I second the Hagen Cycle. I have used cycle and it treats small nitrite and ammonnia problems quickly. I switched to Stress-Zyme for a little while because it was cheaper. I didn't get near the results, and switched back to Cycle. I know a lot of people don't like these additives, but I like to be sure, and I don't think I am adding anything harmful to the tank. So it is worth $12 a month of Cycle to make me feel better.

BTW, about a month ago, my nitrates spiked to 1, added Cycle that night, and they had returned to zero by the next night. Not trying to sell ya, just my experience.

HTH

:hat:

well thanks for all your help guys everything is good now I am feeding less and I was able to pick up my mated pair of banded coral shrimp I had them on hold but did not want to put them in there with the nitrite being so hi but it is all good now I love these shrimp i watch them all day long they are very active well thanks for all the help again

Back
Top Bottom