Nitrite spike??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clownfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Had the oddest thing happen when testing water just now; My nitrites seemed to have spiked to .2, first time I've had a reading on my nitrite test since I cycled the tank about 2 years ago. Other facts:

Amm 0
Nitrate 10
Nitrite .2
ph 7.8
Temp 82
SG 1.024
Phos .2

I'm treating the tank with red slime remover (I know differing opinions on bandaiding the problem and fixing it) and just did a 20% water change yesterday. I expected lower ph, but High Nitrites kinda threw me.

Any ideas, should I be worried? I just redosed the red slime remover (after the test) so I can't do another water change for a few days.

Fish look fine btw.

What brand is the red slime remover? Could be an odd interaction with the test kit giving a false reading or the product has had a limited affect on your biofilter and killed of some of the bacteria...

Cheers
Steve

Ultralife. Thought about that...Ammonia was fine so I'm hoping no affect on bio filter.

Ultralife is one of the better poducts but as you are aware only a bandaid of sorts. It should really have no affect on the biofilter depending on the dosage used for your tank.

Once the treatment is done I would use a polyfilter to remove any remnants and do a generous water change with well aged SW mixed with RO. As long as the NO2 stays fairly low and no NH3 shows up I wouldn't worry just yet unless it lasts more than a few days.

Cheers
Steve

thanks. I've got my SW mixed already. Plan a change in a few days. Red slime seems to be check, but we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom