Nitrite Spike (New Tank 4 weeks)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cooling1981

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All!

I started my salt water aquarium four weeks ago. It is a 30 gallon, two weeks in a fish store worker told me I could add a couple damsels, so I purchased one and he did a great job for two weeks...well three days ago I hit a nitrite spike and my damsel wasn't doing so hot so I took him back to the fishstore. I knew better and am now being very patient. I just did a test and my nitrite level is still very high at between 2-5 the ammonia is .25, ph is 8.2 and nitrate is 5.0.

My tank currently has no livestock in it. My question is what do I need to do to get the nitrite down? Do I need to do anything or being that I have no live stock will it eventually continue to cycle and convert to Nitrates? I'm still researching and want to make sure I go through the full cycle before starting to add livestock again. I would like to start adding some clean up crew as soon as I can, I do have some brown algae growth but want to make sure everything is okay before adding anything.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom