Nitrites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kettle92

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My nitrites have been spiking lately I've been having this problem since I started my tank back in 2015. There was a time when my water was perfect after the first cycle so I then began adding the fish and coral that I wanted. Lately the spikes have been occurring More often. I only feed once every three days, I've been doing 25% water changes I have even gone to the prime chemical that helps control both nitrates and nitrites. I was wondering what other things I could be doing to reduce my nitrite levels so I can have a healthier tank.

If you have nitrites you shouldn't have any stock in there at all
or ar you meaning nitrates

If your seeing nitrites or ammonia that's the longest un cycled tank I know of 2015 wow

my advice would be to start fresh with a new cycle

Last edited:
The system might be going through a mini cycle.
Have there been any recent additions or memorable events in the system recently?
How old are the test kits?

The kits are fairly new. I took my love stock out and placed them in my maintenance tank I use when it does these spikes. I recently added an bubble tip but I'm not sure if that would spike it.

Any type of readings of ammonia or nitrite would point out to some sort of die off.
You have a tank for when these things happen, so this has happened before?
Can you tell us more about the system? Size, how much rock, equipment on it...so on.

you don't need a bubbler in salt water just adds salt creap
how big is the tank and how much rock do you have in it ? stock ect
lets start a base line so we know a little about your tank , may help diagnose your problem .

My ammonia is reading fine. Nitrates are fine but my nitrite is in the stress/ danger level.

The tank is a 30 gallon tank I'm running 2 circulation fans in it. My water filter is the Aqua Clear Fluval for the 50 gallon tank.

I have 30 pounds of sand in the tank and 40 pounds of live rock. I have both the led lighting system and the t5 lighting system simply because my t5 didn't have the moon lights.

Yes I've had this happen before but I just did a ton water changes and it brought it back to normal. But I'm more worried now because I've done the water changes but I don't want to have any silicates building from the constant changing because of all the salt I've been going through.

I'm almost wondering if it be worth doing a new cycle since you removed all your stock , just may resolve your recurring issue, another question have you ever added any type of chemicals that may have brought this on to begin with , don't mind me just thinking aloud

No I appreciate the input. The only two chemicals I've added is the water conditioner for my tap and then prime. But I've only used a small portion of prime because I'm not a big chemical person.

Have you tested your tap water? Since this isn't a pure source of water free of any TDS, there could be anything in there. It isn't uncommon to see ammonia coming in through tap water, so it wouldn't be a stretch to see nitrite levels or even ammonia that your bacteria base is turning into nitrite.

EDIT: Why are silicates a concern? There shouldn't be any in the system after the initial diatom outbreak in the tank to consume them all. If this was the case, I'd be looking towards them coming in from the tap water...but then the water changes wouldn't be helpful at all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom