Noisy XP3 Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ironmanxl1

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought an XP3 a few weeks ago for my new 75 gallon. I needed a filter that was going to be as quiet as possible because the tank is in the same room as my surround sound system. Well it's not quiet at all. It's not the noisiest filter I've heard but it's not nearly as quiet as I thought it was going to be. That plus I think it may be adding heat to my tank. Are the fluvals any better?

If your XP is whistling make the spray bar holes 1 size larger with a drill bit. I have an Xp3 for about 6 months now and you have to open the stand to be able to hear it.

I wasnt using the spray bar. The noise was the buzzing from the motor. I just exchanged it for a fluval 404. The fluval took longer to set up but It's almost completely silent. problem solved. :)

Strange, it must have been a bad unit, my XP3 is silent. I have to touch the hoses to feel for vibrations just to make sure it's on.

You need to make sure Filstars are 100% full of water before starting. They sometimes have a problem auto-priming, and if air is trapped in the top of the filter, it'll be noisey, and won't pump as much water.

I refill mine using a pitcher, then snap on the top - a little water will come out due to displacement - and then fire it up.

Now, I only have an XP2, but its as quiet as the 60mm fans on my PC when the system is idle. Not 100% silent, but can't be heard at all when my television is on.

Ditto on what malkore said. Also, with the Fluval 404, it doesn't auto-prime. So make sure you get to it if the power goes out, or it will usually burn out.

the weird thing is that I had an XP2 before I had an XP3. Ireturned the XP2 because of the noise only for the XP3 to be just as bad. It wasn't extra loud but the buzz was there and I needed it to be extra quiet. Other than the noise it was a good filter.

Back
Top Bottom