noob clown question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chiefstrum

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys. After cycling my 40gal tank and adding CUC I added a pair of clowns. The guy at the LFS said to feed them half a tab of frozen mysis shrimp every other day and the CUC will get scraps. However, the box of mysis and a few books I have say to feed clowns daily or twice daily. Any thoughts? I've got 40lbs of live rock in the tank, sand, 3 turbos and 6 dwarf hermits.

Yeah, sounds like you'redealing with someone who's intellegence at your lfs, most people feed their clowns every other day.

What if the clowns are small and have trouble eating even small pellets? They kinda avoid flakes. Should I feed them daily since they eat maybe 1 pellet per feeding?

Wow, really?
I've been feeding my clowns 2-3 times a day as instructed.

Mine are about an inch in length so they are babies. They do eat those small pellets though.

If the food is to big the clowns will keep spitting it out untill they can swollow the food. Try breaking the flakesa into small pieces.

They have been doing that, but the pellets would sink too fast for them to eventually eat it. They might eat one or two flakes, but then avoid the rest. I'm thinking of trying to hang the pellets on something, would that work?

i turn my powerheads off and skimmer off when i feed my clowns. They are too little and silly to catch the moving food. You might try that. The pellets also dont sink as fast and you can drop them in onesie twosie if you want. Only way I can get my goby to eat. :-D

when i first fed my clowns pellets one of them had the whole pellet in its mouth you could tell it was too big cause it couldnt close its jaw was pretty funny then he spit it out clowns are the most interesting fish to me, i got 2 clowns from the same store different tanks and the minute i put them in my tank they havent left each others side

I hate to admit it but I feed my clowns 3x a day too. Yes, I know overfeeding is bad but I drop the tiniest bit in each time.

Back
Top Bottom