noob questions, advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

z_dano

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm cycling my new tank and things seem to be going ok I think. I have a 56g collum. I put together a 10g (all I had for space) sump with filter sock, 1 liter of matrix, and pump, overflow and etc.. for substrate I'm using 80# of live sand and 20# of live rock. I've been cycling for about a week with a shrimp (live rock put in 2 days ago). Amonia is present .5ppm (being generous) and nitrite and nitrate are at 0. Is this common or acceptable? My ph is a little low 8.0. Is there a way I can bring it up a tad naturally? Will it come up on its own? I do not have a protein skimmer yet but intend to when I get fish. Since I'm new I'm wondering if I'm doing anything wrong or if there is any advice out there that can help. I'll attach some pics in a sec.

Here are the pics

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120903_164425.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120903_164425.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 113
  • ForumRunner_20120903_164454.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120903_164454.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 105
  • ForumRunner_20120903_164513.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120903_164513.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 99
You're fine. It can take months to cycle sometimes. Once ammonia and nitrite rise and fall do a water change to bring nitrates to an acceptable level and add your first livestock.

Thank you for the reassurance. The low ph won't hurt the live rock will it? I intend to get more soon, just when I can afford to :)

Your pH will be fine. During cycling you don't need light, only params to worry about are Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. Helps speed up bacteria growth if you turn heater up too. Good luck!! :)

The easiest way to raise pH is by raising Alkalinity. Higher Alk means better pH stability which is very important. It also is important for invertebrates that build their shells tubes and for corals.
Simplest method to raise Alk if you have nothing else, add baking soda. It has the bicarbonates that make up most of the alkaline. I would start with 1 lvl tbsp and check a day later to see change. Both pH and Alk should go up.

Crushed coral will also do the same thing but slower. Better perhaps in the long run, but not as effective for the quick boost.

Both very good tips thank you. How do I maintain the ph? Will it continue at that level after I raise it or will it taper back off over time?

Another question... What is the difference between a powerhead and a sump pump? I get the circulation pumps (added tank circulation). But I hear people mention power heads and I hear people mention pumps... Pumps seem to be more expensive but that's all I get, do the do the same thing? What should the water flow be for a 56g collum? Can there be too much flow? Please let me know when I start to get annoying.... ;)

A powerhead is a pump. So is a circulation pump. They're all pumps. You want about 7x overturn through the sump. About 50x overturn total for a reef.

Well yes.. I get that they are all pumps. Lol
Thanks for the flow info. I guess my next question would be if I go with corals in the future (my sump is about 20x the flow now) would a circulation pump be enough or would I have to push all that water through the sump?

Sps like a lot of flow. Softies not as much. You can place in the tank accordingly though. I have 43x total overturn (water, I have about 9x overturn in my sump.) 5 powerheads. 2 1400s 2 1000s and 1 300 or so.

Back
Top Bottom