normal for a new tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gthirty7s

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey guys my tank is a month and half old
i got a lot of green hair algae in the past few weeks on the glass and on my live rock, just installed my skimmer yesterday since the first one i have received wasn't working

i have noticed a lot of bubbles on the rock last week as well
just want to know if this is normal

Are you using ro/di water? Do you know what your water params are especially nitrate and phosphate?

I would say you def have some phosphates. Api kits can be quirky, try taking a sample to your lfs and have them double check. Are you using ro/di water? Running any filter media?

API kits aren't very granular w.r.t. phosphates (0.25ppm is the smallest detectable amount). See if someone in a local club (or your LFS) has a Hanna Checker or a Salifert kit to test it against. I plan on picking up a Hanna Checker for this very reason.

The bubbles on the rock is normal. My tank is 18 months old and still has bubbles on the rock. As far as the algae, its perfectly normal. Keep your water in good shape and make sure you aren't running your lights for an extremely long time.

Sent from my XT1080 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom