Now Don't anybody panick....About octopii

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christmasfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
No I am not even near to close to thinking of any marine tank.

But my grandfather had 3 really big showpiece marine tanks.
His fake reef (covered a wall and had the workings behind the wall in the ol guestroom closet) was cool.
The animal I liked best was an octopus. It was sooo neat. and it would come over like it knew you would like it to. Put its tentcales where your hand was on the glass, and look...interested.

Later on as a teen I saw a fish called a Fairy Moray (a small pale moray with burgandy and pink markings).
I have always WANTED a tank that I could have tose animals in.

What do octopii need?

www.tonmo.com

I thought about getting an octo for a while. There's one where I volunteer, and im embarrassed to say hes in a 10 gallon tank (scientific specimens vs pets :roll: )! mantle length is about 6 inches. they have a giant aquaclear power filter on it, at least twice as big as the one i have on my 55 gallon fresh tank, which i think is rated for 60 or so gallons. Very very cool and smart animals. i think you should get a tank going and then get one! Make sure you watch out for escape attempts, if there is a way out of your tank (even if it includes modest lifting) they will find it and end up on the floor.

btw... you might notice my avatar is a cuttlefish! im still hoping to get one of those one day. tonmo has videos of octos and cuttles in action, definitely worth checking out.

reefrunner69 said:
Cephlapods

Cephlapod FAQ

There are a couple links for you, not sure how helpful they would be, I didn't open them just got them from a search of wetwebmedia.com. As much as I hate sending people there...www.reefcentral.com has an excellent cephlapod forum.

Kudos! information sharing is always a good thing, I am usually logged onto both sites at the same time.

Thanks! I love ocotpusses too much to chance killing one just to have its company...but I was hoping that maybe now they are breeding one that is tolerant to the pitfalls of tank living. ^_^
After all that was..um ..er.....over 30 years

I have seen them offered in my LFS a couple of times so I know they're available. Just be sure to do as much research as possible. And when they mention escape attempts, they mean, they will climb right up and out of yoru tank and the only hard part of their body is their beak, which mean they can, and do, squeeze themselves through just about any opening they can find.

Keep us up to date, I'd love to see how your research progresses.

Back
Top Bottom