Now what do I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Starjnr2000

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
This is my first fish tank and so I have done a lot of research and now I am at a point where I don't know what to do next.

I have a 55 gallon saltwater tank. Right now the only thing in the tank is the saltwater and substrate. I have had the tank set up like this for a week. I don't know if I should start by adding some live rock or if I should be doing cycling with the "grocery store" shrimp next.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'd get some LR and then cycle with the shrimp. Then later get more live rock and cure it elsewhere like a tote and put it in the tank.

If you cycle with all your LR in there you'll lose out on hitchikers.

the whole cycle is to cycle the live rock so it becomes "live" so i'd get roughtly 60-80 pounds of live rock and do the raw shrimp trick, unless you get LR from an already established tank then there is a minimal cycling period.

do you have your filters running? or just a bare tank with 1.025 sg water?also what substate are you using, sand or crushed coral?

Is your LR cured? If not, you could put the LR in with the raw shrimp. Wait til the ammonia spikes and then the nitrite/nitrate levels will rise. When your ammonia and nitrites hit zero do a 50% water change and you can then add livestock; slowly.

Thanks everyone. Looks like I will be getting some LR next. How much live rock is needed in a 55 gallon tank? Do I have to get it all at once or can I do bits and pieces at a time?

Gti Leo...Yes I have a fluval 305 running and the 250Watt heater. I added two bags of the Cribsea Ocean Direct Live Sand.

1 to 1.5 lbs per gallon is the general rule. You could do it all at once or bits; I like all at once, to me that's easier.

you could look into dry rock, just make sure its porous, its alot cheaper and with the shrimp in it will become live

Can you mix the dry rock and live rock? Is it better to just stick with one type?

Back
Top Bottom