Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-09-2018, 11:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Nuvo 16

Alright, I think I may be starting my first tank here shortly. Iíve got to get my wife on board first!

I have an Innovative Marine 16 gallon tank that was once an established tank. I bought it off craigslist. At this point I am thinking FOWLR but I am definitely interested in doing some coral in the future so please donít hold back on warnings if any of my ideal stock list wonít work.

First off though, what all do I need to get my tank cycling? I am thinking 20-25 lbs live rock, dry sand for the bed (maybe an inch thick?) and what else am I missing?

As for stock, I would like at least one clown fish (maybe two), a yellow watchman goby, a tiger piston shrimp, an emerald crab or two and some snails (recommendations?) and maybe a bit later a starfish but what kind will work? I will obviously only add one fish at a time. What timeline would/should I work with for adding the next and the next?

I think thatís enough questions for now.

Thanks

Old 04-10-2018, 01:32 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Good choice in tank! I have the IM Nuvo fusion 20 and love the easiness of it. Stock list sounds fine imo. 2 clowns and the goby is definitely fully stocked. For cycling I agree 20 lbs or so should be good and Iíd go for a 1-1.5 inch sandbed for the shrimp goby pair. To cycle most of us use the deli shrimp method in nylon or pantyhose and let it rot for a day or 2 in the tank. Thisís your ammonia source and should spike it and start the cycle.

Emerald crabs are hit or miss and can be coral pickers once algae becomes sparse from my experience. You can do a serpent star, super easy to keep.

bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ok, great! Thanks! What do you have in your tank if you donít mind me asking?
Old 04-10-2018, 03:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I have a lightning maroon clown, helfrichi firefish, sexy shrimp and a lot of corals. Plus some snails and a deresa clam
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Very nice!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com