Nuvo 16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trussellsrt

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Alright, I think I may be starting my first tank here shortly. I’ve got to get my wife on board first!

I have an Innovative Marine 16 gallon tank that was once an established tank. I bought it off craigslist. At this point I am thinking FOWLR but I am definitely interested in doing some coral in the future so please don’t hold back on warnings if any of my ideal stock list won’t work.

First off though, what all do I need to get my tank cycling? I am thinking 20-25 lbs live rock, dry sand for the bed (maybe an inch thick?) and what else am I missing?

As for stock, I would like at least one clown fish (maybe two), a yellow watchman goby, a tiger piston shrimp, an emerald crab or two and some snails (recommendations?) and maybe a bit later a starfish but what kind will work? I will obviously only add one fish at a time. What timeline would/should I work with for adding the next and the next?

I think that’s enough questions for now.

Thanks

Good choice in tank! I have the IM Nuvo fusion 20 and love the easiness of it. Stock list sounds fine imo. 2 clowns and the goby is definitely fully stocked. For cycling I agree 20 lbs or so should be good and I’d go for a 1-1.5 inch sandbed for the shrimp goby pair. To cycle most of us use the deli shrimp method in nylon or pantyhose and let it rot for a day or 2 in the tank. This’s your ammonia source and should spike it and start the cycle.

Emerald crabs are hit or miss and can be coral pickers once algae becomes sparse from my experience. You can do a serpent star, super easy to keep.

I have a lightning maroon clown, helfrichi firefish, sexy shrimp and a lot of corals. Plus some snails and a deresa clam

Back
Top Bottom