O crap....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

c0mf0rt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I decided to go ahead and get the clown I've been asking about and since everyone said they all stay pretty small I went out and picked up a maroon clown.....

After I got home I starting seeing things on the web about these things getting up to 6" long .....that's a little bigger than I thought...

Has anyone seen one actually get that big?????? Correct me if I'm wrong but that's a little big for my tank.... 60 gal????

c0mf0rt,

I checked your profile and I think I counted 12 fish including the maroon clown. So, like many of us you are a bit overstocked. Since most of your fish are quite small I think you will be fine for a while as long as you keep up on water maintenance.

Your tank is stocked similar to mine although a bit smaller, and I think the clown should be fine as long as it is not overly aggressive to your other fish. Maroon's have a reputation for being a bit more aggressive and in fact they can be quite mean. If you have a QT you might want to have a plan to more it if aggression becomes an issue.

As for size they can get huge. I saw one that was 8"+ at an LFS. I do not think most will exceed 6" in most aquarium environments especially if it is heavily stocked. My female is probably close to 4" after about a year.

Keep an eye on the aggression possibility.

Good luck,

i think (and i may be compleatly wrong) that clowns grow depending on how much space they are given. i have a clown in one of my very small nano tanks that has stayed smaller then 1 inch for almost 2 years wile i have a cupple in my very big tank that have grown bigger then 3 inches. i really think it depends on the space they are given

About the agression, I second that. In my gallery under Lavendar is a bueatiful Tang that my Maroon bit chunks out of her. My LFS swore to me it wasn't happening that they don't bite, but I saw him do it! I had to get rid of her because of it. It would have been mean to keep her. Had her in a 55 while she recovered.

The aggression is usually caused due to territorial issues. It is good that you added the maroon clown last and based on the amount of fish you already have I assume you will not be adding any more.

My Maroons definitely have their spot in the tank and all the other fish seem to know that going in that area is at their own risk. I have actually thought about getting one of those little signs and painting it "Beware of Maroon Clowns" :)

Seriously, just keep an eye on the new maroon and be prepared to act if a problem does arise.

Will keep an eye on it for the aggession.... no signs yet.... like you said I think it's a good thing I added it last.... my tang gave it a couple of tail whips when it was introduced but everyone seems to be keeping to themselves now.... we'll see...

I don't mind the idea of having to take it back as bad as I do the idea of having to tear apart my tank to catch it..... I hope he works out......

Ok they made it easy on me.... I had NO problems catching both my new Maroon clown and my Yellow tang.... so back to the LFS they will go for something a little more suitable for the size tank I have....... they're in the fuge until then.....

maroon clowns definitely get to 6" and above. This is why researching the EXACT species of fish, plant, coral, invert...is so important.

Maroons can be nasty. At my LFS one of the workers were getting some snails for me out of a tank when the Maroon that was in there bit her hard. Even cut her finger a bit. 8O
I'll stick to my Percs. 8)

In a crammped tank aggression may become an issue. The maroons are pretty nasty. Any chance on retruning him and bringing home a perc or ocellaris? That would probably be a better choice for your tank.

The tang and the clown are going back today....

Maklore I know you're only trying to help, but I had a post a week or so ago asking about which clown to buy and everyone kept saying it really doesn't matter, so that's what I did..... Usually I get pretty good advice, but like we all know it's "advice" not necessarily all fact.... O well no harm no foul......

I had a post a week or so ago asking about which clown to buy and everyone kept saying it really doesn't matte

Usually I get pretty good advice, but like we all know it's "advice" not necessarily all fact.... O well no harm no foul......

Well, if you check out your thread about small Clowns, not a single person reccomended a Maroon Clown, and a few people made specific reccomendations for smaller Clowns:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=40969&highlight=

So, maybe you posted on another messagesboard, but "everyone" on AA did not keep saying that it did not really matter.

Don't sweat it man, turn it into a positive. Chalk it up to experience. Most of us have learned something the hard way in this hobby. Now you can pass your new experience to others. :)

I know Maroons have gotten a bad rap but mine has been nothing but a joy over the last 6 months. He is about 3 inches right now and hangs out in his hosted PH most of the day. He bothers no one, but stands his ground if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom