Ocellaris bullied to death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pattyfurg

Aquarium Advice FINatic
:( so I just bought my two ocellaris clowns about 3 days ago and they only started eating yesterday. This morning I noticed one was hiding in my live rock (which neither of them ever did) when I was researching them I found that when they establish their dominance they fight and the clownfish hiding only had a little rip on its tail... So I left them thinking that he wouldn't get further damage...
Came home from school today and one is dead with its whole tail bitten off :( I'm really upset because these fish were my favorite after three days. I'm not sure weather to get another one now because I don't want the same thing to happen :( really guttered

Sorry to hear that. What size is your tank? I've got a 54gal with 3 occelaris, they all get along although I'm trading one soon for coral. Also what size were they? Females get big and males are smaller, but sounds like they were trying to get that part figured out. Again really sorry

I know this isn't big enough but it 15-20 gallons but I had plenty of hiding places... I was going to buy an anemone in 2 days they were both very small and approx the same size

Attachments

• image-1463784577.jpg
    image-1463784577.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 91
Dang you would think getting them at the same time would have help, but they also could have been est. territory. My first one is the same size as yours in pic, but when I got my black one she was a wee but bigger. So maybe that helped out. The 3rd was given to me by a friend, who was having the same problem as you. Crazy thing was they were in his 90gal. I was afraid of taking his clown because I didn't want to kill it. But that clown hangs out with the black and orange. It's weird mine that I bought got along at first but I noticed in the last few months they stay at separate ends of my tank. Was hoping they would pair up. Lol they all sleep together though. So you might just have to get one that is slightly bigger.

Same happened to me when first started my tank but the it was the bigger one that died so I went shop next day and got a smaller one then the one that was in tank and now they get on and had them bout 9 months

I'm not sure weather to get another one because i don't want to get the only one in the group that's a female and mine being a female too :/ knowing my luck -.-'

Just make sure it is a lot smaller then the one you currently have or take it back and get an established pair.

This morning my other ocellaris died?

It was eating ok and swimming fine... Now I'm starting to think it might be because I got them from a place that normally has sick fish :/

I tested my water and it's
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate <5

I did notice when I first bought them that their poo was alittle white and stringy but it started to change when they started eating :/

Back
Top Bottom