OK, I am thinking it is time for a salt tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WarDaddy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am going to start small (that is all the wife will allow :) )

I have a 20 tall that I will convert to salt. Planning on having a 10 gallon Sump in the stand with some filter material, bio balls and deep sand bed.

In the main tank I am thinking shallow sand (2-3 inches) and live rock.

I only need to have 2 fish, a Clown and a Blue tang (yes Nemo and Dorey) This tank is primarly for my son to enjoy and for me to convince the wife we should change the 55 gallon to a salt setup.

Would I be ok with a Clown, blue tang and maybe an ANEMONE.

am I crazy, or can this be done?

The clown will be ok in a 20 tall tank but, the blue tang will outgrow that tank and should be reconsidered. Also, it's not recommend to get an anemone til your tank is stable and most will say about a year old. Type of anemone will depend on your lighting. I really hope your wife will reconsider and go ahead and get the 55. Larger tanks are easier to stabilize and more forgiving. The blue tang will get to large for a 55 also but you might be able to keep a yellow tang in there.

a 20 gallon is way to small for a Blue Tang. A 55 gallon tank is also IMO to small for a Blue Tang. I think a 75 gallon is the min. size for a Blue Tang. I had a 20 gallon and it was very hard to keep up with even without fish. 2 mounths ago I was able to convince my parents to let me buy the 75 so I could have a larger fish selection and an eayser time with maitnce. Hope this helps! :D

a 20 tall has the same footprint as a 10g, right? if so, you should treat it as a 10g for stocking purposes, since it has little surface area.

go bigger. you'll be glad you did.

Good luck :)

My best advice -- either take a small loan out or be frugal as much as possible -- i.e. save some $. ouch :(

No blue tang... baaaad idea... unless you plan on increasing your tank to a 90 gallon (which I feel is the smallest tank size for that fish). Also if you haven't purchased the tank... get a 20 long... its got more surface area, that means more fish. Live rock is a must! Protien skimmers are a good way to go... and inverts are great cleaners. Fish for a 20 gallon ~ gobies, dwarf angel, royal grammas, blennies, percula clowns, or cardinalfish. Pick two or three depending on the adult size of these fish... cycle your tank before adding fish!!

Back
Top Bottom