OK it's decision time...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

midiman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I can either:

1) wait until I get back from my trip on February 27 to start to set up my tank with LR and LS, or

2) I can set up with LS now and cycle it with a couple of returnable damsels so that I have something to watch in the meantime.

I admit, I'm getting jumpy doing all of this research and prep knowing that I won't be able to really get going until March.

What do you advise (or, what would you really do? :wink: )

i would wait chances are if u cycle now and add rock later the die even in cured rock will spark another mini cycle

I would wait too. Or set it up with live rock / sand now. That way when you return you should be ready. How long will you be gone? Do you have someone to top off your water while you are away?

Check out this article.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15

Depending on how long you are going to be gone, you tank may be cycled and ready to go when you return. I would agree that LR and LS at the same time might be best to avoid die off later on.

I would avoid the damsels unless they are part of your long term plans. It is hard on the fish, the are aggressive and tough to catch if you do want to remove them later.

HTH,

I agree about setting it up now with LR. That way the cycle will be done when you return. I wish I didnt have to sit and watch a cycling tank. Make sure you have someone to topoff and check the filters. When you get home check the water for amm, nitrites and if both are zero do a good water change and pick out some fish to QT.

I would wait...... In a new tank with new plumbing I would make sure someone is there to check on the tank to make sure you have no leaks or that nothing breaks down. A lot of things can go wrong in the first few days/weeks of a new tank.

It looks llike I may have found a tank sitter. Assuming I get my tank set up (with rocks from liverocks.com) and running by the end of next week (Feb 4), it will be 2 weeks into the cycle when I leave for Sicily (on the 18th, return on the 26th). I am assuming (and hope to be corrected by you guys if I'm wrong), that the bulk of the heavy cycling will be completed by then, and that a tank sitter will need to do little else but top off with fresh water and empty the skimmer cup (I'm not sure yet if it's plumbed for drain off or if I should risk doing it - it's an in-sump AquaC Urchin skimmer).

Can anyone give me a reasonable ballpark timeline for cycling with live rock from liverocks.com? I know there are many variables, but assuming a "typical" timeline, could I accomplish what I outlined above without worrying? I'd LOVE to be able to start adding inverts and fish when I get back.

i would set it up and let the cycle start along with allowing the pod population to start to grow some while your gone as long as your sitter can keep a eye on things ! the longer the rock sits with out fish the better :)

Ok wait a minute (I might be a bit slow on the uptake today - I doing this while supervising a study hall of 7th graders!!!)

Do I take from this last post that I have to add a piece of shrimp into the LR tank AFTER the LR has completed the cycle and is fully cured?

The shrimp thing's got me puzzled a bit, I admit.

Read the attached article above it explains the fishless cycle. Leave the shimp in for the duration of the cycle with the LR.

I know about fishless cycling from my freshwater tanks, but I was never patient enough to use it!!!

I guess my confusion is as to why anything is needed at all if live rock is curing - I mean, dead is dead, right? Won't the last remnants of curing live rock serve as an ammonia source?

My question about ammonia is AFTER the rock has cured and the tank has fully cycled. What will sustain the cycle in a fully cycled tank with fully cured live rock and no other inhabitants? Should I "feed" the rock? If there were invert hitchhikers on the LR, I assume I have to feed them, too?

Shrimp cocktail for those guys, too? :)

Also, the typical cycle is 4-6 weeks, so the tank will most likely just be finishing the cysle when you return. If it is going to be longer before you add fish you can always add another small shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom