ok new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jester

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok I have only had my tank going for 1 week I was wondering how long i have to wait to get a cleanning crew package it is a 60 g with 3 damsels in it I started the cycling last monday thanks

First, I would remove the damsels and take them back to the pet store. They are not necessary for cycling, in fact it is a bit cruel, and they will be the biggest pain if you want to remove them later. They are very aggressive and territorial for there small size, and may limit what you can keep in the tank anyway. Cycle with a few cocktail shrimp.

You need test kits, namely ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate to determine when your cycle has completed and the tank is ready for livestock. When ammonia and nitrite have eached peaked and returned conclusively to 0ppm (nitrates will start to rise), the tank is for the most part "cycled". I would wait an additional week and then start adding the crew.

Ditto

I'd second Hoops' recommendation. You can cycle a tank without fish in it. Certainly boring to look at, but a lot easier on the fish. Also, Damsels are, IMHO, fish from hell! They are very aggressive.

Generally speaking, it will take six to eight weeks for a marine tank to get through the nitrogen cycle. It will take at least six months before it will be completely cycled. After the nitrogen cycle is over, the water continues to "evolve." Once the NH4 and NO2 and NO3 levels are down, then consider adding fish. Of course at that time you need to consider a plan for adding fish. Not all fish get along with each other. Likewise, put the wrong fish together and you might have an aquatic disaster on your hands.

Do you have Live Rock? If so how much? Live rock will speed up the cycling process instantly.

NO i have no live rock I have live sand I would have used the shrip but the lfs who instaled and set up my tank said to get Damsels the amoina already rose and is starting to fall I do have a test kit I will continue to test

Back
Top Bottom