OK.. this is what im working with

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

am i set up right for what i want?

• Total voters

juice28

Aquarium Advice Freak
to be short and sweet, I'm new to marine set ups and Ive been reading a lot but the terminology is whooping my but lol. I'm looking up types of light and overflows and all this trying to see if it looks like mine, guess i need a marine picture dictionary so i took pics to show!
now for all you pros and semi pros, this is my set up 47 gal. not sure of the specific terms for the type of equip. i have, i know it has 2 bio wheels...can ya tell me what is missing and what type of "overflow" or lighting i have, its a regular fish tank light.(guy at the store said its fine for coral or clams) no reflective material inside and is it possible to set it up as a reef tank? corals inverts and have a dwarf lion-fish or 2 or a fu manchu lion-fish(later on of course) or should i get a "wider" less tall tank? OHH and my tank is super clean! is there a way to increase good bacteria? I spent a fair amount on it and i do have some live rock in it but not a whole lot(bout 5lbs) compared to the 10-15 lbs of non live base rock

Attachments

• biowheels.jpg
    biowheels.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 99
  • front shot.jpg
    front shot.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 123
  • overflow.jpg
    overflow.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 124
  • tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 85
I'll let the experts chime in more on this, but you're going to need some real strong lighting more than likely if you'd like corals in the tank. Tall tanks arn't really good for reefs.

Your fish are going to be limited, since there is limited surface area. You'll haveto have less fish than you would for a 47 long for example. I would definatly get more LR and also throw in some raw grocery store shrimp in there to get your cycle growing.

Dont always trust your LFS - certianly ask here first, it'll save you lots of money and trouble!

thanks, i kina figured id be limited on fish due to the short wdth and raw gocery shrimp. i nevr thought of that! thanksfor the tips! i plan on gettin more LR its looking like im goig to have to order it because the stor outhere chargs like 8.50 a lb!

Try using base rock as it will be much cheaper. Base rock will become live with nitrifying bacteria over time. You might want to consider a skimmer. What type lighting is that?

thanks, id like to addsome corals being that im not going toh ave alot of fish due to the width of the tank, should any suggestions of wattage/type of light? and a guy in the pet store told me he has a small light on the side of his tank in accordance with his top light for added lighing to his tall tank his amin light shining down and his secondary small light shining across...ive never seen, hreard of or read anything in here like that.. the way he described it it sounds almost like a spot light. type of deal. Is that effective or is he just a crazy old man lol

I could not believe the lfs said that, that light will support corals and clams. Well maybe I can. That light for clams for that tall of a tank will run you probably $500 so hopefully you got a super discount!! lol. I have never heard of that side light, I guess it makes sense but if you buy a Metal Halide fixture for the top you should be ok with just that and nothing for the side. Do you want your corals facing up or sideways? Probably up, so I would go with a fixture on the top.

thanks, yea it was an ok package deal on the tank, roughly 450 for the whole set up, salt and bufer and crushed coral included thanks for the tip on te light ima have to look in the piggy bank to see how long itll take lol

I personally would go with sand instead of the CC. CC tends to trap waste and debris and causes elevated nitrates.

yea.. it clicked a little too late lol so im working on removing all the cc and replacing it with some live sand, i dont have much thats not expendible (a few hermit crabs and a few nassarius snails and 2 yellow tail damsels) except for my decorator crab, will the change have a negative affect on them? A petco here caries live sand i think..(it has water in the bag with the sand) but ill have to double check

Back
Top Bottom