Ok to add clean up crew during cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update: fish are happy and eating. Water perimeters are still very good. Snails and hermits are doing a great job cleaning algae as well. Definitely thinking I need to buy about 5-6 more Mexican snails. I'm thinking I adding some frags next week. Thoughts?

So the tank is doing great. Corals, crabs and snails are doing great. However, or the last 3-4 days the smaller if the two chromis has been hiding behind a rock. He won't eat and I can't seem to help him in anyway. The other one is swimming and eating fine. So today I get home and he is laying at the bottom of the tank against the glass all disorientated. He's in a breeder box in the tank now but I don't think he will pull through. All water perimeters are good too. Any clue why this has happened or why he went into hiding and refused to eat?

Seems weird. I had 3 chromis and they seemed fine at first then one wouldn't come out and eat and a few days later the 2nd one did the same. Now (3 weeks later) I only have one left (the one that was the bravest and ate the most the whole time) and he started to hide also, until I put a clownfish in there..instant buddies! :lol: My experience was different than yours as my fish just suddenly disappeared...so I don't know why your chromis is dying :( Btw did the diatoms go away and what corals do you have?

obscurereef said:
Seems weird. I had 3 chromis and they seemed fine at first then one wouldn't come out and eat and a few days later the 2nd one did the same. Now (3 weeks later) I only have one left (the one that was the bravest and ate the most the whole time) and he started to hide also, until I put a clownfish in there..instant buddies! :lol: My experience was different than yours as my fish just suddenly disappeared...so I don't know why your chromis is dying :( Btw did the diatoms go away and what corals do you have?

Yes the diatoms have gone away :)
As for corals, I have 2 sets of mushrooms. A pair of green and a pair of reds. Also have a frogspawn and a maxima clam. All corals doing fantastic!

Hmm didn't know you could add a clam that fast. I heard that they take care of the problem of hair algae and after that they don't do as well and may die (this is a very simplified version haha).

obscurereef said:
Hmm didn't know you could add a clam that fast. I heard that they take care of the problem of hair algae and after that they don't do as well and may die (this is a very simplified version haha).

That fast?

The clam has actually opened up larger then it did in the other tank. Water perimeters are top notch right now. He was under the same lighting as I have now but I think the placement and water flow is better in my tank. I read a lot about them before I got one and I got this one at a steal. I got the frogspawn and the clam for $40.

Oh sorry I didn't know exactly how old the system had to be before they were added..haha thought it was a few months and it seems your system is fairly new. Anyway, I learned something new! :D What a deal! I'm so jealous :lol:

obscurereef said:
Oh sorry I didn't know exactly how old the system had to be before they were added..haha thought it was a few months and it seems your system is fairly new. Anyway, I learned something new! :D What a deal! I'm so jealous :lol:

The tank is relatively new to me but it was up and running when I bought it. Used the existing sand, some rock, filter media and some already cycled water. Diatoms within 2 weeks and steady water perimeters. Just my luck I guess lol :)

Back
Top Bottom