Ok to add clean up crew during cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duddits

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys and gals. So I've read a few other threads where people have added like a dozen hermits and a dozen snails to their tank while it's cycling. Some successful stories too. Is it ok to do this? What do I need to do to make sure I'm not killing them in the process? My water perimeters look good so far. I have about 30-40 pounds of established live rock, 50 pounds of live sand from a previous reef tank, a good filter, skimmer and uv sterilizer so I'm sure my cycle will be a little quicker then most. Reason for adding them now is to help with the bb but to also clean up some of the algae in my sand bed and rocks. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Especially if the rock and sand is from an established tank. You may not even get a huge ammonia spike and have a nice smooth transition. If the rock and sand was transferred wet and not out of water, you can probably add a fish very soon...

Getting this brown algae growing in the sand and it almost looks like green algae on some the rocks.

Attachments

• image-3024480000.jpg
    image-3024480000.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 274
Tank has been cycling for a week as of yesterday so I know I'll till have nitrite and nitrate spikes, or will I? Going to get 10 gallons of RO water today to do a partial water change. Thinking my phosphates might be high seeing that algae

Lookin pretty good... Hard to tell but looks like a small nitrate reading??

No need for a water change yet... Just do top offs for another week. I would test again then. If nitrates are higher you're good!

0-5 is a sustainable level... I would feel safe adding a little fishie in there... Just keep an eye on the water params. Looks good though, I was pretty excited when I hit that point :cool:

Benamayer said:
0-5 is a sustainable level... I would feel safe adding a little fishie in there... Just keep an eye on the water params. Looks good though, I was pretty excited when I hit that point :cool:

Going to get 5 gallons of RO water as a top off then. Add some snails and hermits and maybe a couple of chromis. Think that'll be ok?

Just top off what has evaporated. I do it every couple days, about 1.5 gallons in my 55... Yea, you could add those, just don't go overboard in feeding. Probably 2 chromis and a couple hermits/snails..

Ok so I picked up a dozen hermits, 5 snails and two green chromis. On a drip now. Ran my water specs through my LFS and they suggested a pair of clowns and even corals already. Shocked me! But I'm going to wait a few weeks and I'll probably upgrade my bulbs in my T-5 set up just to be sure.

Nice... And be careful from LFS recommendations, they're also SALESMEN lol... Wayyy too early for corals IMO... Good luck let us know how this purchase goes!

Will do. Everyone is in the tank. Clean up crew went right to work. However, one chromis went straight to the bottom back and is hiding while the other is out swimming around.

All good. They are swimming all around the tank. Thinking my next purchase in a few weeks will be a pair of perculas or a goby

Attachments

• image-3533030162.jpg
    image-3533030162.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 453
Back
Top Bottom