Ok, What type of filter should I use for my reef tank....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CountZero

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am just about ready to set up my reef tank, A 120 gal. I just ordered the lighting and all I am missing now is the protein skimmer, UV, And filter. I have heard don't use cannister filter, use a wet dry. don't use a wet dry use nothing but the protein skimmer and some powerheads, Maybe a couple of Biowheels. I have heard use the protein skimmer with the UV only....

I don't know what to do as I am still pretty new to the whole marine aquarium thing. I have my 55 gal FO tank and I have been being real patient with it and it is doing really well now with just a Niger trigger and 3 damnsels (not a typo :) )

I have the money, I am ready to go, and I want to get at least the sand and live rock into the tank before thanksgiving when the family shows up rather than having this big empty tank in the dining room. Any advice would be great!
Thanks,
Zero

Use about 240lbs of LR 4-6" DSB and LS.. Go berlin method no filter.. There is an article in the articles section...

HTH,
James

Do I have to go the 240 #'s all at once? that would be a minimum of 750 bucks worth of live rock... I was thinking about throwing in about 120 or so #'s as I had read at Dr's Forester and Smith's web site that the rock they use is lighter so only .75 to 1.25#'s per gallon was needed. Is this accurate? also, how many #'s of sand would one use for a DSB on a 120 gallon tank? I will go check out that article.

Zero

I would say to throw at least 120#.. The best place that I have found is www.liverocks.com Awesome prices Awesome LR.. It comes with alot of critters both good and bad but Its truely awesome and helps save our oceans while your at it.. AS for live sand I would say about 10 or 15lbs should be plenty along with regular sand such as southdown... There is a sand bed Calc in the calculators section as well.. www.liverocks.com has both LS and LR and ship all orders out overnight for about what you would pay for 2day stuff from anywhere else.. For Example my order was 188.00 for 40#s with overnight s/h very minimal die off as well..

HTH,
James

It sucks.... I went to all the Home supply stores (Home depot, Lowes etc) and none of them have any sands that can be used.. I guess I am gonna have to go to the LFS and get bent over the counter :cry: They want 15 bucks for a 25# bag of sand.... This is gonna hurt. Maybe I should move to florida........ Then I could hang out with reefrunner and steal his sand when he isnt looking :twisted: J/K reef, put down the baseball bat.

Zero

just remember count, if you add more rock later ie half now half later, you risk starting another tank cycle with the second batch.

Lganj, Thanks forfor the lead, I will check it out, the price is better, but lets see what shipping is, Maybe I wont take it in the pants quite as hard! Thanks bud!

Jks1, Yeah, I had thought about that as well, Fortunatly, I have a 45 gal tank that I am keeping set aside for just such a purpose, Hopefully, I can cure the rock in there and prevent any spikes. Think that would work?

Zero

well, I called them, Unfortunatly, its 44 bucks a bag to have it shipped out to NV... Man, I wish home depot could get it out here... 5 bucks a bag sounds so much better :)

Zero

Oh...I guess the pallet rate is less. I would have thought their shipping would be less than that. Is there a reef or aquarium club close to you? If so, perhaps they might have some leads on sand? Or might have enough members to get together and order a pallet of the stuff?

CountZero said:
I have a 45 gal tank that I am keeping set aside for just such a purpose, Hopefully, I can cure the rock in there and prevent any spikes. Think that would work?

I am very new to SW so hopefully this is correct: Yes, I think that would work. If your main tank is cycled already, then you can cure a new batch of live rock in a separate container, and add it to the main tank when it's cured.

Back
Top Bottom