On an up grade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So did you get your tank? I went to see the 120 that I was taking about and I like it. It still needs some cleaning, I also think that I would be sanding down the stand and staining it a different color. It looms better in person that on the photo

ForumRunner_20130317_153559.jpg

Looks good! And i havent gotten my tank yet no still waiting on trying to sell mine!

Found a 65 gallon drilled for 65 bucks. I think its to small. Even with the added volume of a 35 gallon sump i think im gonna bite the bullet, drain and re seal my tank. My tank is perfect for a reef with soleley tangs. My tank is 6 ft long 2 ft tall. I want a yellow tang, kole tang, and possibly a hippo or powder blue. I know its not a 125 gallons. But the dimensions will still support the tangs necessary ample swimming space. I just wish there was an easy way to determine tempered or not without any stickers. Or markings on the tank. Its 90 gallons.

I'm going to go with this 120 gallon tank. I am trying to set up a time to pick it up and bring it home. I will be in on the BRS group buy this Tuesday and hope I know what I'm getting is what I will need.

Awesome ! Im on the list but probably not gonna buy anything. No money to blow, i had to wait over a month a half for my first pay off the new job so im barely survivng at the moment my fish eat breakfast before i do !

Awhile back a lfs told me if you look at a tank with polarized sun glasses and see like a rainbow looking pâté ten in the glass then it is tempered

Yeah i heard that too, i did some research and found out that if you have any white coloured lcd screen(laptop,smartphone) put it inside the tank, look thru the glass at the screen with polarized sunglasses and turn the lenses around, the non tempered glass turns all black. Tempered glass goes black but has bad distortion and warping. Im gonna drain some water for a waterchange and use and old smartphone for this test as water and electricty dont mix!!

I may be jumping the gun just a little here. I just ordered 50lbs of dry rock and 200lbs of dry sand. It will be a few weeks before I will be ready to move anything over but my thought is to get more ro k as soon as possible so I can get it in my tank to give it a better chance to become live before the move. Is this a bad idea?

Im not sure if putting it in your tank will be the best idea... Since its all dry, take a few pieces out, and cycle it a bit in a rubbermaid container or spare tank or something. Wouldnt want anything in the dry rock going into your aquarium? After a week or two then toss it in the tank after a few large water changes im not 100%onthis so im going on what i think i read somewhere, if its a little bit at a time of dry rock going in probably wont be too bad, but all at once may have an adverse affect

Has anyone used these lights? Don't know if they are Taotronics but they look like them.

120 Watt Dimmable with Digital Timer coral reef LED fixture With Moonlights

They are on Amazon when pulling up taotronic led's

Check out the best bang for your buck thread on lighting there on there

There was not all that much talk about them what I gathered from it was that they are all manufactured by the same company and others slap there name on them. I like the fact that I will nit need to buy any timers or moon lights. And the single power cord is a plus.

Picking up the tank tomorrow will decide what I want to do about the stain color. Next step is to figure out how I want to plumb it and order my lights and skimmer.

The tank is here now I need to clean it up and sand down the stand and restain it. Lots of work but with a good reward when all done.

OMG dont you just love setting up a new tank? Its the best part of the hobby and sooo exciting. I cant wait to get my 135g Cube to set up!

I am excited but I know that I have got to be patent and not just set it up. The stand looks okay but I know that I should sand and stain it here is a photo but the tank is still in the back of the truck I have got to have help to get it out.

ForumRunner_20130319_094807.jpg

I didn't want to put it in this spot but I think I like it. I would need to block out the light from the Windows but this would make the transfer so much less of a pain in the butt.

I am excited but I know that I have got to be patent and not just set it up. The stand looks okay but I know that I should sand and stain it here is a photo but the tank is still in the back of the truck I have got to have help to get it out.

View attachment 160750

I didn't want to put it in this spot but I think I like it. I would need to block out the light from the Windows but this would make the transfer so much less of a pain in the butt.

I cant stand the of a tank being infront of a window for the whole reason you have to block it out. however I am addicted to natural sun light during the day and having to have a window blind closed blows my mind. I dont even have blinds on my windows lol

I agree on the color however its to light. I would darken it to match the furniture or paint it black

Back
Top Bottom