On an up grade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The canopy is solid not worried about that at all. But the cables are not removable from the unit. I suppose I can cut down the cable and do it the same way.

So I have 45 gallons of water mixed and ready to go. In the old tank there is probably 45 gallons of water. I don't have another mixing tank so this is where I will start with the move tomorrow morning. I am thinking that I will put the rocks and coral in to a bin. The fish in to what I am currently using for my ato water. It is a 10 gallon tank. Then I will move the old tank and stand out of the way. Then put the new tank and stand in its place. First put in my new sand, the dry rocks I have (50lb) then add 45 gallons of water that I have ready than make another 45 gallons. I guess let it mix till Thursday. Then on Thursday add the next 45 gallons if new water. After that add the live rock from my current tank (around 90lb) fill the tank with old water from the tank. Then add the fish. Does this sound right?

I would recommend egg crate on the bottom first. Then the base rocks followed by sand. Just to prevent rocks being undermined.

I always felt thathaving egg crate in the bottom creates dead spots. it blocks sand-bed critters, snails, worms etc. from moving the sand-bed around.

Nice choice on tank and lights. I'll tag along. :)

If it does create dead spots that could end up being anaerobic bacteria. That's a good thing in small amounts. Worms could get there but your right about sand sifters tho. Just don't want rocks resting on the glass bottom, potentially scratching it.
Rocks sitting on sand as you indicated is VERY dangerous tho when the sand sifters get to borrowing onset rocks. AVALANCHE!

My current tank (55) I did not use any create I have a 5"sand bed rocks are 1/2 way in the sand and I never had any movement problems. Even with a engineer goby.

Lights are hanging, tank is still full of fresh water and vinager. Nit with lights on I see that there millions of micro bubbles. Could it be the fresh water?

ForumRunner_20130410_121522.jpg

ForumRunner_20130410_121537.jpg

Looks good. Everytime I fill a tank for the first time I get those bubbles too. They should go away very quickly .

O I though you had bubbles on the glass. So your saying the bubbles are coming from the powerhead ? If so make sure the impeller is seated all the way .

Emptying the fresh water out of the tank right now. Going to wipe down then start taking the rock out of the 55. Wish me luck

All fish are in the 10 gallon. Old tank is empty short of half if It's sand. Old sump is outside. Going to take the old tank outside now. Boy do they stink. New tank in its place, 5" sand bed in. 20 gallons of water in 40 gallons ready to add. I will do that around noon tomorrow. Then I will mix the rest of the water. Rocks will go in tomorrow.

Tank is full added 50lb base rock and about 20lb live rock. Put my
T5's on it just to see what it looks like. I have got to heat the water 5 degrees than I will add the rest of the rock, coral than fish.

ForumRunner_20130411_170435.jpg

Dont pick it out in ur tank! Get a seperate container, the spores will burst and the algae will be 100x worse!

Back
Top Bottom