On an up grade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jjamontan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So today I have a 55 gallon tank with a 29 gallon sump. The sump holds areound 20 gallons if water. What I have for rock is around 90lb and 90lj of sand. I am running a coral life 65 skimmer, 750 return pump, gfo and carbon reactor. I am going to find me a 125 or other 6' tank today and get going. I have around $3,000 to spend and I'm looking for advice. I know all that I want but the money I have is all I am willing to spend to get this started.

What type of advice are you looking for? how to spend the money? what equipment if any do you currently have for the 125?

I would use the 55g as the sump to save yourself some cash.
Upgrade your skimmer to NWB-200 Reef octopus - 290$ from BRS
Get a Mag return, this will be 700gph return so that will be 50g less then your skimmer allowing your skimmer to do its job. 90$ may want to go bigger to match your head hight. you can calculate this just get something thats going to match the flow of your skimmer.
get some power heads ~3-4 that will cost you like 160$ if you go with korillias or something like that.
90 lbs of rock will be just fine and would allow for a nice open rockscape. I personally wouldnt have more then 90 lbs I had like 60lbs in my 75g and a very heavy bio load and everything is just fine.
If this is a reef tank you could go with the dimmble taoratonic leds and get 3x of these and that will cost you 140$ each so 420$

so that leaves you with about 2 grand to spend on the tank+stand and that should be more then enough so you would have some extra cash for things like carbon/GFO reactor, sump baffles, plumbing, heaters. I would get a controler personally and I think you would have enough to get one. Get a Reefkeeper Light Plus - 269$ and worth every penny

I have been looking at that skimmer as well as the mag drive pump. I want LED's but the Tao tronics are ugly when hanging to the ceiling. I was thinking of the aqiaticlife R12 T5 HID fixture. I think I will buy a used tank and stand so it will leave more money for equipment. Don't know of how to move over the livestock. I guess I will worry about that when I have all that I need. I would like to use the 55 for the sump but have no idea about what to do with the live stock for the two or three days it would take to make and set up the 55 as the sump.

Yeah thats always an issue. Maybe move your stuff into your 20g sump you are using for temp and convert the 55g get things going becauase you will have a mini cycle or possibly even a full cycle so you will need some time to let things settle. another thing you could do is just set up the tank without a sump at first and add it after its cycled. I would deff go leds t5s/halides are a waste of money over time. get AI sols or Vegas if you want something that looks nice.

Found a good deal for a 120 with a stand and cannopy so may go that way. If I do I can go with the cheep taotronic lights and save some money that way.

Your upgrade sounds just like mine! Im pribably going with 100 gallon, no smaller then 75, might be getting the tank tomorrow for 100

Right on ! Hopefully it works out! After i buy my tank im going to be buying my skimmer :)

I think bubble magus or coralife ss 125 gonna do fowlr first as light may be an issue at first .

Go with the bubble magus, I currently use a corallife 65 it works okay but not all that great. I'm going to go with the reef octopus nwb200

Ive heard the 65 is poor quality, the lfs around me sell the superskimmer in 65 and 125 and he offers a lifetime warranty through his supplier. At no extra cost, so i think im gonna go with the 125 due to cost reasons and its nice size. Besides i want my main source of filtration to be an okay skimmer, and an amazing refugium

OMG stay away from coralife they are JUNK

You need to go with a company that make skimmers...coralife makes cheap product to sell at Petco they do not make quality items. Their skimmers are junk junk junk you would be better off tossing the money into the sump and not buy the skimmer at all.
Get a reefoctopus if I have learned one thing in life it is NOTHING has a life time guarentee. and if you think about it why would they? putting a life time guarentee on something make every customer you will ever have be a one time customer and thats not how money is made. there may be a life time guarentee on one of the parts of the skimmer but the skimmer as awhole is not. and think about it why would they? they want to sell more skimmers...

ALSO before you put in a fuge read this...http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/current-discussion-refugiums-164943.html?highlight=Refugiums

Geoff knows what hes talking about and is one of the best people I have found online to learn from. Fuges are terrible terrible terrible and only lead to issues. You will understand after reading the thread...its a long one so get a beer.

Ive definately got lots of time but not atm to read that. I wont go with a coralife skimmer. Got it. And for refugiums.. I skimmed the first page of the thread, and it looks like opinions to me, ill be the full judge of that later, but i dont see how a complete seperate tank conmected to the system just for a refugium could cause problems maybe im wrong, thanks for the link! When i get back from my lfs ill check it out

Ive definately got lots of time but not atm to read that. I wont go with a coralife skimmer. Got it. And for refugiums.. I skimmed the first page of the thread, and it looks like opinions to me, ill be the full judge of that later, but i dont see how a complete seperate tank conmected to the system just for a refugium could cause problems maybe im wrong, thanks for the link! When i get back from my lfs ill check it out

the way geoff does disscussions is he lets people place their opinions then he explains to them why they are wong. Not in a rude way but a very constructive way that help people understand why the logic isnt there. Geoff is an expert in nutrient control and how systems process phosphates. This is what he will mainly get into. He shows that refugiums cause more issues then they are worth. I decided to test it personally with 2 takes. One I put a fuge on and one i didnt. I did the exact same things with both tanks, same WC schedual, same light schedual. in the one take with the fuge I had mangroves, cheato, live rock, and a deep sand bed. In that take i had a CONSTANT battle with hair algae in the tank and high phosphates. In the take without the fuge I never had any greenhair algae and there was no fuge at all. I grew mangroves in the sump but that was all. I struggled with cyno in both for about a month but never had green hair algae in the take without a fuge. Also my phosphates never went above .05. I had a pair of clowns in both tanks and that was it with dry base rock.

The tank with the fuge did however have lower nitrates at the end of the week when i did my water changes but thats all the fuge provided my nitrates would about <5 and in the other one they were always 5-10.

Like I said the 65 I have has been ok, it tends to overflow quite often. I don't know how to compare it due to the fact that it is all I have had. I do know that I will be spending the money on a good skimmer. I guess what I mean by good is what I have heard from others.

the way geoff does disscussions is he lets people place their opinions then he explains to them why they are wong. Not in a rude way but a very constructive way that help people understand why the logic isnt there. Geoff is an expert in nutrient control and how systems process phosphates. This is what he will mainly get into. He shows that refugiums cause more issues then they are worth. I decided to test it personally with 2 takes. One I put a fuge on and one i didnt. I did the exact same things with both tanks, same WC schedual, same light schedual. in the one take with the fuge I had mangroves, cheato, live rock, and a deep sand bed. In that take i had a CONSTANT battle with hair algae in the tank and high phosphates. In the take without the fuge I never had any greenhair algae and there was no fuge at all. I grew mangroves in the sump but that was all. I struggled with cyno in both for about a month but never had green hair algae in the take without a fuge. Also my phosphates never went above .05. I had a pair of clowns in both tanks and that was it with dry base rock.

The tank with the fuge did however have lower nitrates at the end of the week when i did my water changes but thats all the fuge provided my nitrates would about <5 and in the other one they were always 5-10.

Your starting to convince me. I do t have a sump or fuge on my current tank, have some hair algae and next to no phosphates. I think my hair algae is from my lighting schedual actinics are on 12-12 1/2 hrs a day. If i would make a fuge there would be absolutely no deep sand bed, as they are harbourers of releasing trapped phosphates with the proper type of dsb. Simple fuge with macro and some rubble is all id use,

Your starting to convince me. I do t have a sump or fuge on my current tank, have some hair algae and next to no phosphates. I think my hair algae is from my lighting schedual actinics are on 12-12 1/2 hrs a day. If i would make a fuge there would be absolutely no deep sand bed, as they are harbourers of releasing trapped phosphates with the proper type of dsb. Simple fuge with macro and some rubble is all id use,

I would do a fuge with just magroves and cheato. rock rubble is just another way to trap detris =/

I just like the idea of a fuge with mangroves and cheato! If i dont do a fuge, i may just put mangroves in my sump with a light. I just like the idea of algae using up phosphates instead of having to run reactors and spend alot on equipment.. When the fuge is "supposed" to do the same thing

Back
Top Bottom