One fish acting strange?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sparky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Last night I bought 10 more pounds of LR from the LFS and put it into my tank. I did a little re-arranging of the rocks there to start making it look nice. The fish just checked me out and went to the other side of the tank.

Later on in the evening I was looking at the tank and noticed that my Domino Damsel was acting strange like he was frightened. He normally is the "bully" of the tank and swims all over like he owns the place. I didn't think much of it at first because when I put the first rocks in a week before they all did the same thing, they seems kind of scared. A couple hours later they were back to normal.

But, on this occasion, I noticed something different with the Domino. He seemed to be "breathing" exceptionally heavy and staying put behind a plant. I went to bed and at 3 in the morning I got up and went downstairs to check on him. I turned on the light and found him towards the bottom of the tank kind of listing onto his side. I though "Well, when I get up to go to work in a couple hours I will remove him from the tank." I thought he would not make it through the night.

When I got up to go to work at 5:30 I checked the tank to see if he was OK. He was back to being behind the plant but in better condition than before. I called my wife at 11:00 today and asked her how he was doing. She said that he was swimming around a little but not his normal self.

He did not eat when she fed the others this morning. Usually he gobbles up most of the food. He is still acting very scared.

I checked all my readings this morning before work:

SG 1.024
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5

They all seem to be normal readings don't they? What could have caused him to act this way? Thanks in advance for any help on this. It just makes me feel bad, because I put those fish through hell during the "cycling" period and they survived. I want to keep them alive. they are my buddies now. Part of the family.

Sparky

Was the LR pre-cured (?) could be a small spike in water quality.

Could also simpley have been stressed. Fish get used to established territories fairly quickly. If you move things about it will cause a sort of caos in the hierarchy. It sounds as though things have settled down but I would suggest you check the ph and possibley do a water change to be on the safe side.

Cheers
Steve

Ok..PH was 8.5...and I moved the rock around a bit...but not from the general area in which it was originally. The rock was pre-cured, in a tank at the store.

Seems that the other fish are doing just fine. Actually it's like the Domino got his ass kicked by one of the other fish on the block and now is a coward..LOL.

I will try changing some of the water tomorrow. I will make up some water tonight and let it set overnight to get it ready.

Thanks for your help.

Sparky

Back
Top Bottom