One week into my cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
you should get a few more as well. Blooms of different colors. One time through the cycle is the major change, but as livestock changes, smaller blooms of different types take place from my experience. They die off though unless they are constantly fed.

I use rodi. Well the tank doesn't cycle without an ammonia source. Put ammonia from a hardware store. Or the easier. Dead uncooked shrimp in a stocking for easy removal upon completion.

That green algae will continue to grow once that light is on during cycle you do not need light while tank is cycling. What is the reason for lights on during cycle?

Lights are not ok on when your tank is at a nutrient high. What are you lighting? Rocks? You are going to have some algae problems early on if you use anything other than ambient light during a cycle.

I am one week into my cycle and it looks like I am getting a major bloom is this normal ?

From my experience I used 2 raw shrimp as a ammonia source and let nature do its thing .
As the nitrogen cycle progressed algae did grow along with diatoms coving the sand .
I didn't change the water till after ammonia and nitrite tested 0
I also cheated to speed up the process and used a nitrifying bacteria called colony .
When nitrate was the only thing testing above 0 I did a 50% water change once a week till nitrate levels were as close to 0 as possible .
Add fish slow 1-2 fish every couple weeks
DON'T RUSH !
Be patient
Rushing gets expensive

Back
Top Bottom